Mental Health Forums

Electric shock treatment

Starstruck

Morning :) this is my first time on here. I am writing about my dad who has manic depression with psychosis he has suffered with this for almost 10 years now. At the moment he is hospital and has been since June due to him having another breakdown (if that is the correct word to use) he has stopped eating but is drinking small amounts. They have considered using electric shock treatment on him. We have a meeting on Monday over it. Has anyone had it done before or know if anyone has? My dad has been told about it but he doesn't want to go through with it, he said he is scared which is understandable but he is unable to make any discussions at the moment that's why we are getting brought in. I want him to get it done so he can hopefully get out of the nightmare he is in but I've heard there are some side affects from it? Sorry for the long post. Thanks if anyone has any info x

hi and welcome

I have a friend who has had 2 courses of it in the past

she said it made her forget some things, but I think it was not so terrible as it sounds (and as our images of it from old movies)

it helped her a bit

but also

when I was in psych hosp, there were 3 people on the ward who were having it

and it certainly 'brought them back' from the dark, virtually catatonic place that they were in,

they began to talk to the rest of us, and to eat, and to function

I cannot say if it would help your father - but these are my LIMITED experiences of it, so I hope that helps a little

all the very best to you all as you work this out

Archived