Mental Health Forums

DBT and BPD

bpdrecovery

Hi all im wondering if anyone is having DBT for BPD im struggling with BPD but since diagnosis i have never been offered DBT.  Iv read a lot about it but i cant seem to access it through my mental health team.  Has anyone had it and does it help with BPD?

Im in work group for ESA and its stressful as im constantly being nagged to go back to work and i am not able to yet but feel il have a chance if i have DBT.  Am i right in thinking if i was in the support group of ESA then i may get some help as at the moment no one seems to understand i need treatment for BPD before i can continue getting better iv researched and i try help myself best i can but im not getting anywhere!

thanks for reading

You have to persist with the mental health team, i have found most of them to be useless

don't rely on nameless duty workers etc, find someone at the mental health team that you know by name that you can hold accountable

i have had 5 social workers in the last year, they are always on leave, this current one is a nice guy and accountable

the lady that handles all my complaints is a senior social worker she is nice too, i only deal with these two people now

they do what they say, others would just bullshit me

if you do not keep on at them you will go to the bottom of the pile make complaints etc, they help the most servere people first if you do not fit into that group "not suicidal enough" they do little to help you

they know how shit their services are, people who do not complain are not complaing because they are too drugged up or too sick to notice how shit the services are

most likely be waiting 2 years for DBT, being in the support group will not help with getting DBT

you may find many of them do not even know what DBT is and will offer you CBT instead

As far as ESA is concerned it doesnt matter which group you are in or even if you arent claiming ESA, they wont help you get any form of therapy, it is a whole different department. That is for the benefits that you receive and your capabilities for work.

I was previously in group DBT and found it very helpful, both the actual DBT and mindfulness and the group work, not having worked alongside other people beforehand.  Many people find it valuable who have BPD, but you need to access this through your CMHT.  You dont say whether you are working with the mental health team in your area or not, but if not you need to access them through your gp and then they might be able to refer you to a group therapy or individual DBT but I found the group most helpful 

Hello by the way x

hello thanks for your replies its not available in my mental health area all they can offer is CBT which iv had several times and find completely useless so i gues theres no treatment for me even if i complained? Mental health services are completely underfunded so yes iv met some pretty crap people offering a crap service now for 20 years and im tired of it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had dbt and it was a big let down. I can't access any services or support because I've had dbt and it didn't work. I've recently been in crisis and almost lost my kids to social services because the mh team won't offer support. The mh system is a disgrace it's failing a lot of people don't hold out hope for it as its useless anyway. 

i don't think they know how to mend peoples minds in the same way legs and arms that are broken can be mended

so they do what they can which isn't very much

i do worry what these people would do for employment if there were no mentally ill to keep them occupied/employed

the types of folk that go in the profession are perhaps troubled themselves, not the smartest of the science* bunch either

how can we attract intelligent people into the soft sciences?

nerds like to measure things

things that exist that have quantifiable units lol

the science of the mind does not have these things (SI UNITS)

when your mind is broken you have to find a way to fix it yourself some of the people at the MH team can be useful

but most of them are just there because it pays better than Tesco

Archived