Mental Health Forums

Online Therapy?

Ridyl

Hello, I am new here, I wanted to ask if anyone has tried or considered trying any form of online therapy for anxiety, I have been looking around for a while but the only sites I have found have been based in the USA, seven cups of tea and better help and a site called talkspace too, they all seem to be much the same, has anyone come across any companies in the UK which online with video, I have seen one called one stop psychotherapy, if anyone has used them or another I would love to hear what you thought about it.

Thank you

Rich 

Hi Rich

Having been in a fair bit of therapy, and currently training to be a therapist, I can honestly say that online therapy's effectiveness is going to be seriously limited, you will get much much more from actually seeing someone. The only online therapy that tends to work is CBT, and with that books can be equally as effective, you will still do better actually having some human interaction though.

Remember most online companies are in it for the money, not for your best interest, if you can find an online therapy site with any respected accreditation or endorsement by BACP or a similar organisation I would be amazed.

Youtube videos can be helpful for teaching you how to do "self therapy" and I strongly recommend Daniel Mackler for this. His videos have helped me, he was recommended to me as a friend, since then I have sat through several hours of his videos which has really helped me with my congruence.

All the best

Forest

I am also looking for some online therapy or even some self help books that could be of any help. 

I am currently having mentalization based therapy. This is an 18 month programme which consists of group work and also one to one sessions with my therapist. I have been attending the therapy for four months now. At the moment it does not seem to be helping. This is not because of a lack of trying or that I am being negative in any way. I sometimes feel that the only way forward is to try and fix myself. 

I will continue with the MBT programme and try my best. 

Archived