Mental Health Forums

Zoloft

Nicole289

Hello all!

A little about myself, My name is Nicole and I was diagnosed with GAD at the ripe young age of eight. When I was 16 a diagnosis of depression soon followed. When I was 10 years old I was put on Zoloft and gained a TON of weight. This resulted in my becoming very unhappy and the doctor switched my medication to Paxil. The Paxil killed my appetite and I lost a lot of weight as a result. After finding out that Paxil was not safe for teenagers to take they switched my medication once again to Celexa. Celexa did not affect my appetite at all and I did not gain weight outside of the average weight gain a person may have in their everyday life. I was on Celexa from the age of 16-27 (currently). Needless to say my body adjusted to the medication and two days ago I was switched back to Zoloft (as my husband and I want to start trying to a baby and Zoloft is a safe medication for the fetus). My question is what are the odds that I will gain weight again with the Zoloft. Is it possible my body has changed with how it will react to the medicine since I am an adult taking it versus an adolescent and have already gone through the hormone changes of puberty? Maybe other factor added onto my weight gain as a child. I'm not sure but I am concerned about possibly gaining a bunch of weight again.

Archived