Mental Health Forums

Hello

Woody105

Hello,

just a quick introduction.

51 year old male, felt quite depressed on and off since early 20's.

never faced my illness, always terrified of being diagnosed or labelled and stigmatised.

i have always felt different, not belonging to anything, unloveable, worthless.

this has cost me relationships and friendships, and left me with a great loneliness.

my mental wellbeing has deteriated over the last 18 months, deeper depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts.

last Friday got drunk and attempted overdose with tramadol.

taken to a+e referred to crisis team.

commenced fluoxetine last Sunday, symptoms hit me like a house brick, constant migraine, aches, pains, sore mouth and throat, unable to sleep. Blood pressure raised to 197/110. (Crisis team didn't seem concerned at any of this and refused to change my meds)

eventually after a lot of insistence crisis team let me stop the fluoxetine and now today commenced on citalopram 20mg.

i am hoping and praying that I do not have the horrific side effects with citalopram, and for my mood to lift and stabilise.

i am a little shocked how my dealings with crisis team hasn't been good, they seem uncaring and even dishonest at times, I hope I can be transferred to my gp or a decent cpn asap.

i hope you are all doing ok, and safe.

kind regards,

woody

Hi Woody,

Yours is the first post I have read, and I could have written almost the same post a few years ago.

Have you googled to see if there are any charity funded counselling services in your area? I was initially very cynical about counselling but have genuinely found it to be very helpful. It's not easy, and it's not a quick fix, but over time I have greatly improved.

Regarding medication, I can only speak from my own experience. That is some have not, for want of a better term, suited me at all and it has taken quite some time to find something that has been helpful. I was on Citalopram for 5 years and found that although it took away the deepest lows and intrusive thoughts, it left me flat and emotionless. I was changed to a different drug due to chronic pain (yep, I have a metal neck in the literal sense). The new drug has improved both my pain levels and has been the most effective medication to date.

Anyway, hang on in there!

Hello Metalneck,

thank you for your advice and sharing your experience.

i had not thought about counselling, I will look into it though. I will contact mind to see if they can offer me anything or point me in the right direction.

day three of citalopram, no horrible side effects so far, I did feel needy,emotional yesterday. BP up and down.

i had a phone call from GP practice Friday to ask me to see my GP, they must of had the hospital report of my suicide attempt.  This will be quite a conversation, nervous already and not seeing them until next Friday.

can I ask you why you have a metal neck?

stay well and safe,

woody

Hi Woody,

I had several ruptured discs in my neck and one was severely compressing my spinal cord. I had an op to remove it and now have a titanium plate & screws in my neck.

Yep, it is quite a bridge to cross that first discussion with the GP following a suicide attempt. I can obnly say that mine has been very supportive...but that doesn't make crossing the hurdle any easier.

I found Citalopram did not have that much of the 2-3 weeks feeling very down when starting- compared to some other medication I have been on. It's worth being aware that you may feel worse and very emotional initially though.

Re. counselling...as I say I was initially cynical, but talking and medication seems to have worked very well. Better than just medication certainly. Just having the opportunity to confidentially get some feeling out in a non-judgemental environment is extremely helpful in itself. I've always resisted talking to people. I had a bad experience with my ex wife who would goad and manipulate me- that put me off talking for good, and also I feel 'guilty' for burdening people with my issues. Talking to a professional has none of those pitfalls. It's not for everyone I suppose, but give it a go and see if it helps.

Hi and welcome 

I have found the mental health profession to be very uncaring in my own situation so you're not the only one going through this 

Take care and stay safe 

Archived