Mental Health Forums

Hi, Depressed but not according to GP

Tawny

Hi, all..

I have been trying to find supportive forums and came across this one..  Hoping it's going to be okay.

I don't say too much about myself but do offer help and support if I feel I can..  I have been through the mill myself so can relate to a lot of different people.  I have been in counselling since last summer after being told I have PTSD.  Have also been suffering with depression for many years but apart from offering pills, the GP doesn't actually think I'm depressed because I get up in the mornings and can look after myself.. Don't know what training she's had on MH issues but think she should stick to coughs, piles and ingrown toenails.. Lol..

Looking forward to chatting with some of you on here..

Hello, 

Sorry this forum seems to be so quiet these days.. I honestly think getting at least moral support from places like this can be comforting.. which is more than i can say about most experiences I've had with doctors.

I have exactly the same response from my doctor / case worker or whatever they call that unqualified person who just sits and listens and has no expertise whatsoever. They talk very slowly and and don't seem to take anything you say seriously. They think if you have a job then you must be ok. Then they don't help you get a diagnosis so you can't tell your employer what you have and can't  get practical help with your life.

I hope this forum wakes up a bit because there are so few places where people can share actual evidence of what going through Mental Health problems is like. We need to help each other because the NHS is failing us. 

I hope it wakes up too bored-a-line.  As you say, there are few places to go..  I had tried a couple forums and they were either very quiet or full of people who just want to 'compete' and say how much worse their stories are which is why I kind of stay quiet..  

Sorry you're having problems with your GP too.. I just get fed up with professionals using personal opinions where their patients are concerned..  The idea that all people who suffer with depression hide under the duvet all day and don't wash or dress is a bit out dated..  Many of us live quite functional lives with massive smiles on our faces.. Until the doors are shut and we are alone..  For me, that's when all hell breaks loose.. 

Yes, we are being failed in a big way but that's not new, is it?  It's as if we are a sub species that can be overlooked in the hope that we'll all quietly disappear..  The more we share, the more awareness can be raised..

On 3/20/2017 at 0:22 AM, Tawny said:

Hi, all..

I have been trying to find supportive forums and came across this one..  Hoping it's going to be okay.

I don't say too much about myself but do offer help and support if I feel I can..  I have been through the mill myself so can relate to a lot of different people.  I have been in counselling since last summer after being told I have PTSD.  Have also been suffering with depression for many years but apart from offering pills, the GP doesn't actually think I'm depressed because I get up in the mornings and can look after myself.. Don't know what training she's had on MH issues but think she should stick to coughs, piles and ingrown toenails.. Lol..

Looking forward to chatting with some of you on here..

Hi,

GPS are useless. Had have bad experiences myself.Was once sent by Doctor to someone to chat things over who then tried to make out it was all my fault i was feeling like i was. Sometimes these people fail to realize that you are just unwell and ill.

I suffer from anxiety and depression. Although normally i can usually lead a normal life sometimes certain things set it off. Just had a very bad attack two days ago. Even after a really bad attack i get what i can only describe as aftershocks for days or perhaps even a week or two afterwards with lingering bad feelings and general life becomes a struggle.

my support worker or whatever the hell they call an unqualified person in mental health took a week to respond.. only when i called him.. then said he'd get a psych to call me.. one week later - nothing. Palmed me off to a self help group and gave me samaritans number. THAT is the state of the NHS. No official diagnosis ever attempted in 20 years.. 1 actual psychiatrist seen in 20 years. 3 rounds of medication offered instantly. 

Archived