Mental Health Forums

Self harm during sleep?!

cnicholls937

Hello :) 

first time posting so forgive me if this is on the wrong thread! 

I'd really appreciate some advice with this as I'm quite literally at my wits end!

So I've self harmed since the age of 15, I'm now 23 and have a Bipolar & BPD diagnosis.

Around 4/5 weeks ago, I woke up with a large area of scratching on my thigh. I didn't think anything of it until a few nights later when I had cut my arm with a razor blade. So I disposed of everything that was readily available and only keeping ones for personal care use. Yet the next night I woke again with cuts and a blade on my bed. I'm guessing this means I had gone to the "effort" of removing the plastic whilst asleep! So I removed those too from my bedroom. Yet again I woke with cuts, and glass on my floor & small chunks of plaster missing from my wall beside my bed where I'm guessing I had smashed a glass to use. So those have now been replaced with plastic cups. Another occasion I was awoken with a nose bleed, I cleared myself up in the dark so I could get some sleep. When I woke in the morning there was blood on my wall next to my bed, the only explanation I can guess is I'd hit my head/face on the wall.

I consulted my GP when this first happened but he was honest in saying he had no idea how to treat it so to consult my psychiatrist. CMHT have no idea either. I have an appt this week and I'm at a loss on what to do other than keep a diary of the injuries and beg for some kind of help! 

This happens around 4-5 times a week currently, I'm genuinely terrified to sleep and am only managing 2-3 hours a night, hardly ideal with a full time job! Waking up covered in blood with no idea what has happened is honestly horrendous! 

Any ideas? Absolutely desperate! :( 

Archived