Mental Health Forums

Anxiety and Depression

phoebus

Hello, I am doing a EPQ project as part of sixth form and my topic area is showing the hidden feelings of anxiety, depression and eating disorders through photography. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to describe to me what it feels like to have these disorders using imagery as I am interested in physically showing what people cant normally see. Any answers would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Hi there. So currently I'm going through a prolonged period of anxiety and its really taking its toll. You probably already know the standard stomach churning feeling you get when you think you've messed up somehow..well mine comes with an accompanying paralysis to act on the problem or overactivity on anything else (procrastination) which leads to long term disappointment and shame.. The imagery I can give you for my experience of anxiety is one of being trapped, where the thing often trapping me is brain and body.. my brain really does feel like a prison... theres an image for you. I have to say shame is the most profound emotion of them all.. it really does bind you.

Depression is physically a kind of resignation for me. There is a lack of "activation energy" to do anything..to create anything.. most of all to get up and out of bed. At its worst I don't feel hunger any more. I think the root of all depression I have felt is shame and frustration. the imagery that could describe this feeling is floating in orbit alone or disappearing into the background.. a sense of not being there.. not letting anyone see you.

hope thats of some use.. its 3am.. i'm obviously not feeling normal at the moment!

Thanks for shining a light on mental health.. lord knows we need more people to be aware of it

Archived