Mental Health Forums

Experiences with A&E, ambulance, police, crisis teams etc

Maeon

Hi all, I was wondering if you could share your experiences with different parts of the system. Ambulance, A&E staff, mental health liaisons, police, CPNs, GPs, Crisis Teams, Care Coordinators, Mental Health Nurses, psychiatrists etc.

My experiences with he medical side has been very good overall, from A&E, paramedics, even police. I've had two doctors not be particularly nice but they were outshone by everyone else in my memory.

Mental health teams I tend to have bad experiences with on the whole, from A&E liaisons onwards. I think it's because I'm not "mentally ill" and there's an atmosphere of rejection and exclusion right from the outset. I think they are there for "real" mental illness and I've annoyed them to be honest. They are definitely an area of the NHS I've found the atmosphere changes, and I'd like to see new teams set up one day that people with personality disorders and SH can interact where it's fresh and positive. I've actually had such bad experiences with them in the past just writing this paragraph I feel the life being sucked out of me somewhat. It's funny because I think that rejection kind of atmosphere is meant to make us go away and stand on our own two feet, but it just makes me feel like crap and so much worse. I think it promotes dependence, like some horrible problem you can never fix. Ugh. *flashbacks* 

There is one Crisis Team lady who's amazing, but I so rarely see her, boo! I reckon she should be a care coordinator. Oh and two very young psychiatrists which was refreshing, maybe they hadn't been worn down by the job yet! Out of hundreds of encounters on the mental health side I'd give it 2% helpful, 63% non harmful (but not helpful) 25% negative and 10% re-traumatising. I wish they'd hire more people who'd been through mental health problems themselves. So many unpleasant memories on top of the mental health problems. I'd rate my experiences with the mental health teams worse than original traumas overall. 

I like to stay positive though and it definitely is a comfort to know in my own experience the pure medical side is fine. :)

Edit: oh and Samaritans! love those guys 

Archived