Mental Health Forums

Anxiety and over active mind

kbird

Hi Folks,

It would be really grateful if someone can shed light on what I am going through.

have constant race of thoughts even during sleep, my mind is constantly ruminating over events or things or thoughts not not necessarily connected. I can feel that mind is active, when i wake up i can still feel am waking up with mind running.This has been there for a long time and I am used to.

I also experience anxiety heavily and it disrupts my life to certain extent, which I trying hard to cope with. Due to this anxious and racing mind i have problem of concentration and my memory is very much impaired as well. I am on my thirties, but i really feel i my thoughts and emotions are not that matured enough, wondering if this someone with anxiety feels the same? Can really slow this over active mind, are there any good coping techniques?

I am currently on Setraline and Cloimipramine after depression episode. Medication helped me to some good extent. But I am really worried about my underlying disorder. 

Any thoughts and suggestion would be highly appreciable. 

I get exactly the same way, with racing mind and full on anxiety. It's really bad atm actually.

I practice mindfulness as a way of calming myself. I also concentrate on grounding myself. I really focus on the feeling of my feet against the floor. Feel the muscles working. Feel how warm or cold my feet feel, sense the sole of my foot against the floor. I do this for as long as I can. At first, it only lasted a minute or so. You need to work at it.

You need to accept that you will feel anxious most of the time. You can achieve small breaks, where you get space to catch your breath and relax momentarily. That's how I manage to cope. And I really enjoy my little moments of quiet. They get me through the rest of the day.

I do hope you can find a way of coping. Sorry if this has been unhelpful. It's just how I manage my racing mind and anxiety.

Hi kbird,

Eagleheart makes some sound points - I have also found mindfulness very useful amongst myself and friends. Acceptance is also an important part of coping with anxiety - you will need to adapt in some way to accommodate for the fact that anxiety is an issue that you will deal with.

Much love <3

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem and it is the worst in the evening when I should go to bed. My thoughts are racing like madmen and I can't focus on a thing. I try to calm my mind and do not use any electronic devices 2 hours before sleep (that is what was recommended to me) but I still haven't found a solution for this.

You're not alone. But I believe that we will find a way to get some peace.

On 2017-5-9 at 5:43 PM, kbird said:

Hi Folks,

It would be really grateful if someone can shed light on what I am going through.

have constant race of thoughts even during sleep, my mind is constantly ruminating over events or things or thoughts not not necessarily connected. I can feel that mind is active, when i wake up i can still feel am waking up with mind running.This has been there for a long time and I am used to.

I also experience anxiety heavily and it disrupts my life to certain extent, which I trying hard to cope with. Due to this anxious and racing mind i have problem of concentration and my memory is very much impaired as well. I am on my thirties, but i really feel i my thoughts and emotions are not that matured enough, wondering if this someone with anxiety feels the same? Can really slow this over active mind, are there any good coping techniques?

I am currently on Setraline and Cloimipramine after depression episode. Medication helped me to some good extent. But I am really worried about my underlying disorder. 

Any thoughts and suggestion would be highly appreciable. 

Hi kbird,

It sounds like you're experiencing symptoms of anxiety. However, bear in mind that many drug therapies for depression do cause a temporary surge in anxiety, so I wouldn't worry about it much unless it continues after you come off meds.

Much love <3

Archived