Mental Health Forums

Weirdly aware of emotions - has any experienced something similar to this?

VeryManyHorses

I have this problem where I'm too conscious of my feelings, and where they come from. I had what might have been mild depression one or two years ago, and it largely feels like it has passed, but this particular problem still exists and might be related. Whenever I'm feeling a particular kind of positive emotion, if I notice it happening it goes away. For example, I might absent-mindedly look at a pleasant view and enjoy doing so. When I notice what I'm doing, and focus my attention more fully on what I'm looking at, the feeling disappears. It's similar when I have some kind of revelation that brings on an emotion - when I think, 'oh, I'm getting a feeling from this', it's like I'm suddenly focusing on that fact instead, making the original feeling go away. I also go weirdly focused on the precise details of where an emotion or pleasure comes from. Going back to the example of looking at a view, I think about whether the feeling is only there if I focus on a particular part of the view, or from a particular angle. It's incredibly frustrating and makes me feel like I'm going insane, as if I'm irrevocably divorced from reality in some way. It's like I can't actually have experiences in a normal way anymore. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, and whether there's some kind of label that can be put on it. Looking online I've been unable to find almost any other cases like this, and its kind of terrifying feeling like I'm the only one in the world this is happening to.

Hi VeryManyHorses,

It appears as if you are analysing every emotion you have, as if it doesn't belong. This is common for people suffering from symptoms of anxiety. Your mind is essentially trying to assess each feeling as if it shouldn't happen. I'd ask yourself what is so threatening or worrying about these feelings - what harm comes from simply feeling?

Overanalysis is common for anxiety sufferers, and I find that meditation and mindfulness are extremely effective in mitigating this symptom. I'd suggest having a go and seeing if it helps :)

Much love <3

I suppose anxiety is a possible explanation. I've been told before by professionals that anxiety (I mean the emotion, not the disorder) is a problem for me. Most of the time I don't feel anxious at all on a conscious level, but I'm on the autistic spectrum so I have trouble identifying my emotions. For example, recently I've had trouble with a nervous tic that is presumably due to anxiety, yet I've mostly felt calm on the surface as far as I can tell.

Thanks for responding.

Archived