Mental Health Forums

Introduction

Patagonia

I've been diagnosed with Social and Generalized Anxiety many years ago and after the most recent stint in the hospital (first time) the BPD diagnosis is now on the table. It has been difficult because no-one seems to be willing to 100% go with this diagnosis, although many say they definitely see traits of it. There seems to be a lot of stigmas attached to it. I've found psychiatrists to be of minimal help - and medication also moderately helpful but does not resolve any of the issues. I look at it more like something you use to get you ready for a run to make sure you don't pull a muscle, but won't actually help you run the race.  I have just started on DBT and so far am finding it helpful. I still feel anxious and confused much of the time and not in control, but I do have moments of clarity where I feel I can see with more perspective (perhaps the intersection of wise + rational mind) and for now am holding onto to that. 

Hi Patagonia,

The reason they won't be 100% willing to go for this diagnosis may be because some symptoms overlap between anxiety and BPD, and some traits of BPD may actually be traits of anxiety. They can't treat you for something if they aren't sure you have it.

The other thing is that you're absolutely right about the medication. It will address neural imbalances in your brain, but it won't forcibly change your attitudes or behaviours. That comes with proactively working hard towards certain goals. I think the metaphor you used works really well to explain - medication preps you for the race, but won't help you run the race itself.

Hope you feel better soon x

Much love <3

Archived