Mental Health Forums

Post-movie depression... please hear me out!! I'm desperate!

bhadbhabie

I just signed up on these forums because I needed a place to explain my situation to individuals who might be able to empathize and suggest ways forward. I had just recently watched a film, Closet Monster, and it has left me absolutely shaken. I've been depressed for three days now after watching it, and I can't exactly say why that is. Perhaps it is generic post-movie depression? Or it could be because the traumas the main character went through were so similar to mine, it was almost as if I was the main character myself. I feel as if, due to that reason, I have been "triggered" and it's set me off. I honestly feel so depressed and need a solution to this asap. After getting through my past traumas almost two years ago, and properly recovering to my old self a year ago, I have been an emotionally resilient person who was far, far from neurotic. But it seems this video just hit all the soft spots and that's what's really made me this emotionally vulnerable. I really don't know what to do, I'd like to go back to being how I was before I watched the film (though I don't regret the film - it was amazing). I really need advice because I have this perpetual anxiety and depressed mood which sometimes prevents me from sleeping and eating.

Hello - First, you're NOT ALONE!! I've had similar experiences myself. One time I saw a horror movie and it also triggered a reaction which left me both physically and mentally sick. My wife couldn't understand. The lack of support and empathy from her made me feel even more vulnerable and ultimately worse. It really sucks when you just want someone to care and ease your pain. They fact that most people really don't understand & want to understand really makes me feel isolated, lonely to the point where I just want to run the fuck away to the airport, book a trip to some beautiful place and say fuck everyone and everything!! 

I feel like a slave to this world where chaos rules and I'm just trying to survive the insanity. 

Hey bhadbhabie,

Movies can affect some people more than others. In the same way that some people cried at The Notebook and others didn't, it's likely that some people feel more emotionally vulnerable towards movies than others. I don't think it's weird at all, because people react in different ways - no surprises there. At the end of the day, you'll realise that it may have been relatable, but it was just media, which can be realistic but isn't real. Take the time to process your emotions, and then use logic to bring yourself back to your normal life.

Much love <3

I have had movies trigger me too, sometimes the sadness or pain the charter's face match feelings I have had, sometimes the dark moody tones of the film leave me feeling the same. As a part of trying to regulate my moods I will intentionally not participate in act ivies that make it harder to do so. I often refrain from listening to music with lyrics that make me feel stuck in a emotion, or movies, or even books that leave me feeling like I need to pick up traits from the character and keep it going, even after the last chapter is read.

What helps me is to engage in something entirely different, go out for a walk, or clean the house, or even make a shopping list and set out to the store. Often it is the average normal daily life activities that make a quick mood shift.

I have to be careful what I listen to, whether it's certain types of music or even certain talk radio subject matter. I think a famous philosopher said something to that effect. It's such a bummer when I'll be in one mood and then I'll hear a song in a grocery store and all of a sudden it's like I'm infected with a downer emotion. 

Archived