Mental Health Forums

Lost Cause?!

blingcrazy

At 17 I went to see a psychiatrist for the first time. I spent 2 hours talking to a male & female psychiatrist. I talked, answered questions, they made notes. At the end the session we shook hands, they gave me a pamphlet and sent me on my way.

I read the pamphlet in the car and was bombarded with information all relating to BPD. But nowhere in that pamphlet was BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER mentioned!

It was only a fortnight later when I was sent the psychiatrists report that I saw the diagnoses of BPD at the top. I was bewildered. But by the end of the report I was laying broken, sobbing on the floor.

These were some of the words written in that report; 'awkward', 'dramatic', 'selfish', "ignorant', 'attention seeker', 'socially unacceptable', 'no form of therapy makes any meaningful difference or progress with these patients', 'studies show that individuals with this diagnoses will likely suffer from this disorder for the rest of their lives', 'sufferers will never be productive members of society'.

At the end a treatment plan was outlined. The treatment plan? 'Pointless'.

What do people think? Have other people had any similar sort of experiences? Has anybody had any success with treatment for BPD? If so what works?

I'm now 30 and the symptoms of my BPD are ten times worse. I could do with some urgent help!

Hi blingcrazy,

I'm really shocked that they would give you such material - they're supposed to try and help you, not kick you when you're down. I hope that this is just a one-off and it hasn't happened to others. I'm here for you if you want to talk (PM) - hope you feel better soonx

Much love <3

Archived