Mental Health Forums

I think my diagnosis is wrong

maddy harper

I think having the diagnosis of borderline personality disorder in my case it's not completely right I actually think I have a lot of schizophrenic traits that have yet to be explored the hearing voices one is a major link 

I sometimes also have a really altered view of reality and mental fragmentation  which also fits into the schizophrenic camp 

I'm trying to get an appointment with a consultant psychiatrist to have the diagnosis we looked at because the registrar is not going to have the experience to actually really discuss what the hell is going on 

But trying to get a psychiatric appointment is like trying to get blood out of a stone 

*sy*

• 3 weeks later...

Maddy, don't count anything out. A diagnosis is just that, a name.  I'M BPD andhear voices - we're all on the spectrum.  Just go with it and get the help you need.

I also hear music in my head which does my head in sometimes I am a musician nice I wonder if that's got something to do that 

• 1 month later...

The troubled with being labelled is , it's makes us think that we have all these ( labels ) and we act accordingly like a dancing bear , to accommodate the normals , shall we say !!   , don't be to hasty to want to be labelled !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Maddy/Bopbop

Apologies for the broken link in your mood diary card there. This one is working - mood diary card :)

I think I had a similar experience to you Bopbop where I thought for years I was Bipolar (my sister is) until they threw BPD on me! To be honest it made a lot of sense. 

Maddy - maybe you are actually experiencing symptoms from a number of personality disorders? My diagnosis is 'mixed personality disorder' and that includes BPD but Schizoid as well. So I have had hallucinations/voices, losing touch with reality etc. I think the difficulty is, so many of the same symptoms fall under different illnesses. That's why I found the diary cards so useful, it helps your therapist give a more accurate diagnosis. 

I hope you get the right diagnosis. Perhaps you should look on the criteria for BPD and schizophrenia so you know where you stand (type ICD green book or dsm V. There is a lot of stigma with BPD but at the same time it is a better diagnosis than real Schizophrenia.

Archived