Mental Health Forums

Panic Disorder ruining my life.

jamieclancs

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and haven't really done anything like this before.  I started having panic attacks around 3 years ago.  They only happened when I drank the night before and I didn't even realise what they were at first.  A few months later I had one out of the blue (after not drinking) and it suddenly scared the hell out of me.  Since then I had more and more until a year passed and I wasn't eating anything because of them.

I eventually went to the doctors and got prescribed 10mg of Citalopram.  Things went well and I began to get my confidence and appetite back however there was still always the worry of having more.  

Low and behold I had another a few months later and the cycle began again.  I got my dose upped to 20mg and the cycle repeated for another few months until I had another.  I'm now on 30mg and again started feeling better until I had another a few weeks back.  This time I told the doctors that upping my dose won't work but nothing else was suggested.  

The worst thing is that I feel anxious after eating because the bloated feeling makes me hot and the pressure on my stomach raises my pulse which in turn makes me have an attack.   I can't eat anything unless I'm immediately able to lie down and do something that takes my mind off it so this is making my life a living hell :(.  The association with a full stomach means I can't even go out for food as I'll immediately feel anxious about it.

Has anyone else had food related anxiety or gone from Citalopram to another medication with success?

I've been on Citalopram for about 20 years.  You just have to use it as a helpful tool, not as a fix all.  Panic attacks suck, but CBT helps.  Citalopram is my fave drug to help me calm down, but you need to do other things too.  Life is hard, but you'll get through it. xxxxx

12 hours ago, Nixie said:

I've been on Citalopram for about 20 years.  You just have to use it as a helpful tool, not as a fix all.  Panic attacks suck, but CBT helps.  Citalopram is my fave drug to help me calm down, but you need to do other things too.  Life is hard, but you'll get through it. xxxxx

Thank you Nixie.  What does CBT involve?  I'm in my head so much that I feel like it won't help.

My main problem is that I know it's all in my head and that I'm not having a heart attack but when it happens it's a completely different story.  It really does ruin your life as I'm sure you know :(

Archived