Mental Health Forums

BPD confused!

Eff

Hi guys,

I’m new around here, have just recently been diagnosed with BPD and I have a lot of questions and doubts. So I thought I’d give it a shot and see if I can answer some of them and/or share some experiences!
– Firstly, I know that people with BPD have had some sort of childhood trauma. I don’t believe I have any, anything I can think of could not be classed as a real traumatic experience (but my brain might have processed it as such?). Anyway, anyone else around here that is diagnosed with BPD but has no childhood traumas?
– I keep doubting my diagnosis (as I went to the psychiatrist kinda knowing that this was it, so I feel like that might have influenced her opinion?) and invalidating my pain, to the point I don’t know what’s real and what isn’t. Is this a BPD trait as well?
– I’ve searched the web but couldn’t find much about this one: I seem to have two opposite views/desires/ideas about everything in life, coexisting at the same time in my head. Is this common in people with BPD?

Thanks

Eff

Dear Eff,

Diagnosis of BPD is not exactly that bad as it means at least that it is not hereditary and you can do something about it. The diagnosis is usually based on DSM V (USA) or ICD 10 (for UK and Europe). Many uses DSM though so just type DSM 5 BPD and the criteria will come up or ICD 10 greenbook and you will see another pdf but BPD comes under Emotionally unstable PD

Hey Webclinician,

Thanks for your reply! I have read the criteria, and it kinda matches, but I know everyone will have their own variations.

But yeah, BPD can be hereditary, and I believe that's my case as there's an extensive history of mental health issues in my family. Then again, diagnoses do vary, they're not black or white. 

Thanks again :)

Hi Eff! 

I have the diagnosis of BPD. No childhood trauma (that I can remember anyway). 

I certainly doubted (and still do some days) my diagnosis. I don't know if that's part of the illness or maybe we're just suspicious!

It's quite a confusing condition to be honest and there is a tonne of stuff written about it online. I'm a firm believer that no two mental illness experiences are the same (so your BPD will be different from my BPD) so whilst you might not relate to some of the stuff you read about it, other bits you may. I actually keep a live daily diary which I have online if you fancy checking it out - maybe you'll be able to relate to some of my experiences? It can be found here.

Archived