Mental Health Forums

What can I do to get better? [BPD]

XpctD

Hello, everyone, I'm only just learning and understanding about my disorder and need some help/guidance because I'm worried nothing I'm currently doing is helping.

A short background: I can only assume my disorder has been inherited somehow because I can't remember any trauma. My disorder only became apparent when I was 11/12 (I'm 20 now) which was when my suicidal idealisation began. Up until last year I just assumed I had depression/anxiety as most people with BPD seem to, but last year I found my way out of my depression; the lights came back on and the world seemed beautiful again. However, that's when I realised that I was still struggling and started looking closer into my symptoms. This was when I was led to my conclusion of BPD and when I read other's experiences I felt like I identified with another person's feelings for the first time.

I talked to my school counsellor and after discussing my reasons and history thought my self-diagnosis seemed accurate, however, he was unable to refer me as I was moving back to England shortly. After having housing troubles I decided to take a year of from school to try and deal with these issues without stress hampering my progress. I am still waiting for an appointment with a GP here in England. Unfortunately that means I still have no idea what support is available to me and I am finding it hard to deal with the waiting.

My question is what can I do on my own to help myself get better? And can anyone tell me about their experience seeking treatment? I am worried that I will have to wait for months before I am able to receive therapy, but then I will be going back to school before I can make any real progress - that's how I feel at least.

Sorry if any of this is unclear, this is my first time posting and I'm not sure what details I need to include.

Archived