Mental Health Forums

Adoption & BPD

Squishy1

Hi all, 

Please bear with me as i'm totally new at this.. i'm not even sure if this is where i'm supposed to post questions? Or if i'm supposed to post questions at all? 

Im just wondering if anyone on here can share if they have any experience adopting a child after being diagnosed with BPD? Im scared to death that the diagnosis will stop me from adopting a child and creating the family I've always dreamed of (separate issues mean it would be very unlikely I could conceive and carry naturally). 

Im currently living abroad (diagnosis has been made here) but will move back to the UK soon and will be looking to adopt over the next couple of years. Can I simply keep the diagnosis to myself and seek treatment without there being a record of it? Is it illegal to withhold this info when going though the adoption process? 

Im praying someone will respond saying they have BPD and have adopted successfully. Feeling very scared and anxious right now, I could really use a bit of good news...

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate any advice/help anyone can offer x

I personally do not know of anyone that has been in this situation. I am not certain how difficult it would be to show the measure of recovery required, have you looked up anything on citizens advice or looked into the requirements for adoption?

Archived