Mental Health Forums

Advice please

vle

Dear all

I hope that you can help. My 20 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with BPD. Life has been a rollercoaster ever since. She has recently told me that she blames me for her condition, I'm a terrible mother and she wants nothing to do with me.  I've always tried to be the best mum I can so I'm devastated.  I know that I shouldn't take this personally but it's hard. Be good to chat to another parent who has been through something similar if possible? Thank you

• 2 months later...

Gosh.. It's interesting that you say this as I have blamed both of my parents for my mental health and I no longer speak to them. They do have narcissistic tendencies.. But for you to reach out means that you truly want to know how to deal with the issue. I can only say what I wished that my mother would do. Maybe write a letter to your daughter telling her that you love her and want to know more about her condition so that you both deal with it in a healthy way. From my perspective we deal with really difficult emotions and we don't know how to handle them as they feel overwhelming. Peaceful and kind encouraging words always help.

Archived