Mental Health Forums

CAMHS diagnosed 'Emotional Dysregulation'

MumofEDteen

Hi, I am new to this site. After 3 years of assessments for Autism and ADHD my teen (16) has been diagnosed with ED. I'm struggling to deal with this diagnosis as I don't really understand it. Is ED the same as BPD? I have read conflicting information on this. Has anyone else on this forum been diagnosed with ED? How do you cope, deal with things? Please share your stories.

I have posted on two areas for traffic. For a forum that has so many members it is strange that so many posts get zero or 1/2 responses, especially when they are having lots of views, what is all that about? Am I missing something?

• 3 weeks later...

Ive only just found this website, but I'm sorry you still haven't received a response!

I was diagnosed with EUPD/BPD traits for a while and then received a EUPD/BPD diagnosis after years of knowing it was the diagnosis that fit my symptoms best. As far as I'm aware, CAMHS are very reluctant to diagnose BPD in those under 18 as it is believed that our 'personalities' don't fully develop until adulthood. Emotional dysregulation is a symptom of BPD, however it isn't the same diagnosis. Those with autism and ADHD can struggle with emotional dysregulation and not have BPD, similarly, sometimes emotional dysregulation is a diagnosis used by CAMHS to suggest that the symptom could develop into a PD later in life. 

I hope this makes sense, and if you have any other questions I am more than happy to help where I can!

Hello, and I do feel for you both regarding your posts. This site is a peer support site that has gone very quite, so there are very few members that post anymore, we do have a lot that lurk, clicking round to see how it is all still working, but most of those that post are very new like yourselves or very old members, 5+ years ago.

Welcome to the site both I hope you are able to find some like minded support in the quiet. Sometimes reading through older posts can help in finding answers. I have never been actually DX's with ED or CAMHS, so I would feel a bit out of depth on both topics. Still welcome to the forums.

Archived