Mental Health Forums

Ideas For Grounding Ourselves

InnerPeace

I think one of our biggest challenges (especially if we're on meds!) is getting and staying grounded....being in our bodies and not floating a few feet off the ground (ok, I don't actually do that but yoiu know what I mean).

I thought it might be good to share some of our ideas on this...these are mine:

Being super aware of my environment...what I can see and hear.

Reading...anything that's about that can be focused on.

Breathing...counting up to 10 on the in breath and then 10 on the out breath

Touching my body

The hands and feet and base of the spine contain energy centres to do with grounding....rub my palms together, rub my thumb across the opposite palm, stamp my feet, go for a walk.

Any exercise...yoga is very good

Imagining my feet connecting with the floor and roots growing from the soles down to the centre of the earth.

Being in nature and really observing it

Focusing on a tree...feeling how it feels - solid and slow, imagine it's roots going into the ground.

Do gardening

Do pottery

Do anything creative

Wearing black trousers

Wearing black shoes

Going barefoot

Having black crystals - wearing them.

Touching wood - find a nice stick and hold it.

Being aware of the base of my spine - bringing in the colour red in my mind

Pressing the meridian point where the nose meets the forehead.

Pulling my earlobes in 4 directions - this is energising too.

Drink water

Eat - especially eggs and red meat. If you lack appetite, press on the meridian point that is between the base of the nose and upper lip.

Sit on the floor with the soles of my feet together and my palms together at mid chest...this creates an energy circuit as the meridian points end at the palms and soles.

Anyone else got any tips?

• Like 2

I think one of our biggest challenges (especially if we're on meds!) is getting and staying grounded....being in our bodies and not floating a few feet off the ground (ok, I don't actually do that but yoiu know what I mean).

Touching my body

The hands and feet and base of the spine contain energy centres to do with grounding....rub my palms together, rub my thumb across the opposite palm, stamp my feet, go for a walk.

Imagining my feet connecting with the floor and roots growing from the soles down to the centre of the earth.

Focusing on a tree...feeling how it feels - solid and slow, imagine it's roots going into the ground.

Do gardening

Do pottery

Do anything creative

Wearing black trousers

Wearing black shoes

Going barefoot

Drink water

Eat - especially eggs and red meat. If you lack appetite, press on the meridian point that is between the base of the nose and upper lip.

Sit on the floor with the soles of my feet together and my palms together at mid chest...this creates an energy circuit as the meridian points end at the palms and soles.

HI INNERPEACE, YOU REALLY ARE TALENTED, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO HEALING

KEEP IT UP

Thanks Tracey...another one that works for me is bouncing on my mini-trampoline, it's good exercise because gravity works on all the muscles and it also gets me feeling in body...plus if I'm really pissed off I can bounce extra hard!

The problem is remembering all these things and making myself be arsed to do them when I need to. I should write them all out for those moments.

I'm always surprised at how much better I instantly feel bouncing....I have it left out in the living room so it's always there but often covered by my daughter's toys...great fun for kids too.

• 1 year later...

I find that grounding techniques really help when we feel the urge to self harm. If you think about why we self harm, it's all about needing to feel alive, needing to feel calm and that we are in control (sure there are many others too)...grounding does that too.

I use a number of visualisation techniques that help too and when I have the chance I'll write them all down. We're creative people and visualisation may work more for some us than what we generally true...also visualisation works with the emotions we feel, it gets right to the core. It may be difficult at first but with practice you can even do it with your eyes open.

ooh, touching my body, I could have fun with that one....j/k...

grounding techniques I find useful are to:

-repeat the date and time over to myself that way I know where I am and what day it is! Whew!

-sit in front of a mirror and look into my own eyes, helps me see who I am and ground my sense of self and stuff!

-meditate

-yoga totally totally grounding for me

that's all for now.

Thanks, Inner! :)

I use visualization (when I remember.)

I picture myself on a flat rocky slab floating in the dark realm of outer space. I take my crystal and call my energies back to me. They swirl around me in their different colors lighting the sky. I can feel myself centering and being energized as they return.

It really is invigorating.

• 2 weeks later...

i also repeated some times tables tonight when ENOUGH backwards got to me. I find 7's and 8's hard.

Not easy ones, ones I don't know as well (from a generation that didn't have to know them when someone clicked their fingers!)

• 4 weeks later...

Touching my body

Do gardening

Do pottery

Do anything creative

Wearing black trousers

Wearing black shoes

Going barefoot

Drink water

Here's some more tips:

1) Eat a balanced and healthy diet.

2) Live within your own limits - you don't need more headaches than you can handle.

3) Don't hope for more than you can realistically achieve: it's not the end of the world if you don't have a PHD in bullshitology!

4) Get your spending under control - if you can't afford it, you can't have it, so tough shit!

5) Always have a few hundred sitting in the bank just in case you do have a manic spending spree - just in case, cut up any credit cards that come your way.

6) Do not take on jobs or courses where the pressures could easily tip you over the edge - if you're earning enough money to pay the bills, just be happy with what you've got.

7) Remember KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid!

• 2 months later...

These two little things I find to be grounding personally: us little earthlings :) (relaxing music too)

Around The World In Six Minutes

The Pale Blue Dot

Wow, these move me so much....

Those videos were amazing, thank you for sharing. Something that I do is put on music and finger pant... yes, I said that, finger paint. The pain has a neat feel to it and there's no pressure to be good at it. I actually I've fingerpainted with friends and have them hanging on my walls (Right next to my boyfriends mom's paintings--shes an amazing watercolorist... lol).

Now I live by the sea, I sit on the beach and listen to the sea breathing! When I lived inland, I used to sit by the river at 2am. Or on top of a hill watching the lights of towns lower down.

Walking in the rain or wind work for me too. Nature helps so much as it is timeless uncontrollable and there is a natural order within it.

• 1 month later...

Touching my body

Do gardening

Do pottery

Do anything creative

Wearing black trousers

Wearing black shoes

Going barefoot

Drink water

hey, these are great. just what i was looking for, i am new so thank u what a wonderful thing to post on here.

I am wondering though, why is it good in wearing black trousers, and wearing black shoes, and having black crystals? i have never heard of these ones and am curious....

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you all, pain dance—inner peace

They are a revelation on anxiety and melancholy,

Such liquid ideas that net the wires of the brain together,

Nobility in that sort of thinking,

I would like to add,

For our actions espouse accountability,

Take initiative and commitment,

Have a social responsibility for actions,

Excise for me has a real meaning,

The inspirit is aroused when i,am swimming,

use imagination and philosophy to full gilt,

as pain dance said “bullshitology””

Thanx inner peace this is something Ive been working on too. great to hear your ideas. here are some i use-

-singing loudly

-dancing

-walking in the rain

-stroking pets(ifyou have any)

-chewing chewing gum

-cooking a meal in a pan that has a nice/strong smell like curry

-smelling flowers

-feeding ducks

-gardening

-stamping my feet and clapping my hands

-moving my eyes(but not my head)in a figure of eight- this sounds weird but it helps me it also helps me to stop bad thoughts(but it takes some perseverence)

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your great vision Inner Peace ... and You certainly deserve that!

I relate particularily to your following tips:-

Being super aware of my environment...what I can see and hear - I am only now getting back to being able to go outdoors again and this will be my aim!

Reading...anything that's about that can be focused on - This one's almost impossible when you're as low as I was ...

Breathing...counting up to 10 on the in breath and then 10 on the out breath - Through the nose for this one helps during mild panic attacks.

Any exercise...yoga is very good - Walking will be my main aim, now that I am starting to venture out once more. I will be walking my two dogs.

Being in nature and really observing it - This reminds me ... I want to start painting again ... it's been over 3 years since I stopped that!

Focusing on a tree...feeling how it feels - solid and slow, imagine it's roots going into the ground - A Wonderful and revitalising experience!

Do gardening - Again, I used to enjoy so much and will return when possible.

Do anything creative - Water colour art.

Drink water - I MUST ... and Do All day ... kidney stones dictated this one for me!

Eat - especially eggs and red meat. If you lack appetite, press on the meridian point that is between the base of the nose and upper lip - Will give this a go, as my appetite comes ang goes.

My own tips:-

Share time with pets, especially dogs. I have a cute little Mal-Shi puppy and a 13 1/2 year old rescued Cross Briard, who I share a lot of fun, companionship and love with.

Water colour art, which I began enjoying five years ago, but haven't felt like doing for the past two years, is a very enjoyable and relaxing hobby.

Take Care and Keep in touch,

"Feel Ever Safe!"

• 2 months later...

Hey just wanted to say thank you for all of these suggestions, I'm really struggling with not really "being here" at the moment so I'm going to give some of these a good try :)