Mental Health Forums

Chlorpromazine

coco

Can anyone tell me if chlorpromazine is an anti-psychotic?

Ive been on it for months now and it doesnt seem to be helping me. I still hear voices when im distressed.

Is anyone else on chlorpromazine? How does it effect you?

I'm on it (25mg/day) and it is an anti-psychotic, but an old class of drugs. It doesn't do much except help with sleep (especially if you have it before food), however I don't have hallucinations so I don't really know. I think it has made me put on a little weight, which I'm not too happy about. Apart from that not much to tell.

hi

i was put on this whilst in hospital. i was told it was an anti-anxiety med lol.

i take it when stressed and it knocks me out cold. when i do finally surface im usually quite chilled until the next lot of rubbish starts.

i was told some of the supposed hallucinations were down to anxiety and to be honest i do find it helps remove the out of eye corner movements and some of the slight paranoia feelings i have.

if u feel it isnt working is there any chance u can go back and speak with the person who prescribed it?

Yes, it is an AP, one of the oldest ones around. I was taking it regularly for about 2 years (25mg x 3 a day and 50mg at night) but was like a walking zombie on that dose (they don't call it a "chemical cosh" for nothing! ;) ) I guess it had it's uses in blocking out all the intrusive and psychotic thoughts I was having and basically kept me alive as I just couldn't be bothered to harm/kill myself.

When I decided I didn't want to be a zombie anymore I came off the regular dose and was prescribed 50mg PRN which was useful for those times I just wanted to escape the world and sleep for 24/48 hours, and still ocassionally use it now.

• 1 month later...

it is an anti-psychotic yes, but its also prescribed as an anti-anxiety in some circumstances.

if its not doing its job you need to speak to ur doctor

Archived