Mental Health Forums

Anyone Withdrawn From Long Term Lorazepam Addiction?

Faerielight

hi guys, well my plan at the start of this year was to cut down on my meds, but then my thyroid went nuts for months so i was dealing with doubling thyroxine and my med plans got put on hold.

Niow my thyroid has been stable for a while it is almost the end of the year, i want to tackle my lorazepam addiction...

i came off mirtazipine in jan which i was pleased about cos of the weight gain side effect, but the next one i want to come off is lorazepam cos i have been taking 1 mg every night for 3 1/2 years. i am so physically addicted, if i dont take it the same time each night i start getting withdrawal, physical and mental. it is horrible, and if i run out for 1 night im climbing the walls.

I also sporadically take diazipam.. i go days without then i have a shit day and can't cope so i need to take 40 mg diazipam just for it to work.. a good few times a month, so my body has definitely got a tolerence to benzos.

Tonight im going to try 1/2 a lorazopam and suppliment the other half with 5 mg diazipam seeing as 1mg L is equivilent to 10 mg D.. thus 1/2 mh L plus 5 mg D equals the same strength.

The reason for this is to eventually swap the L for D then come off the D as the L is more addictive according to he internet cos it has a shorter time in the bosy.

i'm wondering if that sounds sensible, but not sure how long to do each stage of withdrawal for.

I want to get to a point where i use benzos only in an emergency prn.

that'sd the plan.. would really like to hear from anyone who has got off L.

Also, i have sauch a fear of getting accidentally pregnant on benzos as they seem to be more toxic to foetusses than my low dose seroquel and anti depressant.

hugs, ivy x

Archived