Mental Health Forums

Sleeping All The Time

sunshine_bear

Hey

I am on mirtazepine and when I first started on it I found it knocked me out for a few days but the effects wore off and recently my doctor upped the dosage. And now I all I want to do is sleep. I take them on a night about 9 and I am striaght to sleep pretty much and sleeping until 2 or 3 in the afternoon the next day.

Do you think this is the meds or just depression?

sunshnex

Hey

I am on mirtazepine and when I first started on it I found it knocked me out for a few days but the effects wore off and recently my doctor upped the dosage. And now I all I want to do is sleep. I take them on a night about 9 and I am striaght to sleep pretty much and sleeping until 2 or 3 in the afternoon the next day.

Do you think this is the meds or just depression?

sunshnex

Hi Sunshine I'd say it was the meds as when depression makes me overtired there is awakening in between the long periods of sleep ie may sleep 10 hours then wake then have to return to bed for a couple of hours. Doubt that the depression would cause you to sleep right through for 16 hours.

Only based on my own experience so may be wrong!!

hey bear -

Give the meds a chance to work into your system. Maybe your body may

need some time to adjust. If you are worried about it, talk to your doc,

phone him.

March

Could be the Mirtazapine doing that. I could sleep easy for 16 hours when I was on it. Freaky as hell and made me pass out. I could never stay awake past 10, annoyed me since I never saw the end of any films ;) This is just my experience though. Though depression can have that affect too. I suppose it could be a combination of the two.

Mirtazapine knocked me out completely...I took it for 6 months, put on loads of weight and was permanently exhausted...coming off the drug has helped loads...and I am losing weight. I did always get a good nights sleep on it though unlike now, but, I wanted to sleep all the time.

Rattle over...take care Sunshine.

((((hugs))))

Jane x

I agree w/ Zig in that depression, I usually wake up then go back to sleep during the day for hours on end. Sleeping straight through sounds like meds more to me. Even with depression, I'm up and about in the house (awake) but just shuffle around and don't do much. Sleeping like zonked out all day sounds more than just depression. Meds too.

Hey, could be both! Never thought of that. Yeah, what about both depression and side effects of meds?

Archived