Mental Health Forums

Chlorpromazine

messygirl

I know Coco posted here on this but I kinda need some more info. Ive been taking it since my latest ODs and Im concerned the effect it seems to be having on me. Im incredibly shaky, cant type properly or pour a drink for instance, my walking is a bit uncoordinated, my vision is effected, and I seem to be becoming more rather than less of a psychotic frame of mind. I also have had massive memory loss, I didnt know I was talking to my best friend the other day after an hour of talking to her, I didnt know who she was. I dont know how much of this is my current mental state, which is really bad, or how much is down to the drug. One doctor said he didnt want to give it to me because I drink, he said it was so dangerous that it could slow down my respiratory system and I could stop breathing. My gp however has given me more, despite knowing I am a drinker. I know the drink will magnify these effects but Ive never experienced anything like this before, and despite it being tranquilising, I am so bad mentally that it isnt even helping stop the panic, depression and suicidal thoughts. I wake up early, think Im going crazy and cant get back to sleep. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Maybe the dose you are taking is too high for you, you might want to discuss a lower dose with your GP see if you still have a good effect but less side effects.

Or maybe this is just not the med for you..........sometimes you have try out a few different meds before you find something that works for you.

As for the drinking well I dont have to tell you, to drink with these meds is not really a good idea.........I dont know if it increases side effects but it could be it does...........

Lilly

I'm on chlropromazine and I don't have any of those symptoms but I am on a very low dose at the moment and i don't drink. I had some serious side effects when I first went on it and took some cough medicine (that had a high level of alcohol in it) with it as well. this and my lexapro all reacted and i was very confused. I would check this with your doctor who prescribed them. It can have very serious side effects including:

Bipolar Medications Library

Thorazine - generic name Chlorpromazine - is an antipsychotic drug that may be prescribed for the treatment of bipolar disorder as well as schizophrenia and other disorders involving psychotic symptoms.

Common Side Effects:

Check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:

Constipation; decreased sweating; dizziness; drowsiness; dryness of mouth; nasal congestion

Less Common Side Effects:

Check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:

Changes in menstrual period; decreased sexual ability; increased sensitivity of skin to sunlight (skin rash, itching, redness or other discoloration of skin, or severe sunburn); swelling or pain in breasts; unusual secretion of milk; weight gain (unusual)

SPECIAL WARNING: Along with their needed effects, phenothiazines can sometimes cause serious side effects. Tardive dyskinesia (a movement disorder) may occur and may not go away after you stop using the medicine. Signs of tardive dyskinesia include fine, worm-like movements of the tongue, or other uncontrolled movements of the mouth, tongue, cheeks, jaw, or arms and legs. Other serious but rare side effects may also occur. These include severe muscle stiffness, fever, unusual tiredness or weakness, fast heartbeat, difficult breathing, increased sweating, loss of bladder control, and seizures (neuroleptic malignant syndrome). You and your doctor should discuss the good this medicine will do as well as the risks of taking it.

Stop taking this medicine and check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:

Rare: Convulsions (seizures); difficult or fast breathing; fast heartbeat or irregular pulse; fever; high or low blood pressure; increased sweating; loss of bladder control; muscle stiffness (severe); unusually pale skin; unusual tiredness or weakness

Notify Doctor Immediately:

More Common: Lip smacking or puckering; puffing of cheeks; rapid or fine, worm-like movements of tongue; uncontrolled chewing movements; uncontrolled movements of arms or legs

Notify Doctor As Soon As Possible:

More common: Blurred vision, change in color vision, or difficulty in seeing at night; difficulty in speaking or swallowing; fainting; inability to move eyes; loss of balance control; mask-like face; muscle spasms (especially of face, neck, and back); restlessness or need to keep moving; shuffling walk; stiffness of arms or legs; tic-like or twitching movements; trembling and shaking of hands and fingers; twisting movements of body; weakness of arms and legs

Less Common: Difficulty in urinating; skin rash; sunburn (severe)

Rare: Abdominal or stomach pains; aching muscles and joints; confusion; fever and chills; hot, dry skin or lack of sweating; muscle weakness; nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; painful, inappropriate penile erection (continuing); skin discoloration (tan or blue-gray); skin itching (severe); sore throat and fever; unusual bleeding or bruising; yellow eyes or skin

Withdrawal Side Effects - Notify Doctor:

Dizziness, nausea and vomiting, stomach pain, trembling of the fingers and hands, or any of the following symptoms of tardive dyskinesia: Lip smacking or puckering; puffing of cheeks; rapid or fine, worm-like movements of tongue; uncontrolled chewing movements; uncontrolled movements of arms or legs

Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your doctor.

Updated: June 19, 2006

thankyou so much for all that. I do have some of those effects but I dont think its anything too serious, however my vision is getting worse and I feel malaised. My gp said my liver will never be back to normal after my recent OD so theres a few things working against me at the mo. Ill discuss it with my shrink tomorrow, but I very much appreciate all that info thanks paine.

I get wierd vision when my seretonin levels are off. I see lights before my eyes that arn't there.

If Seretonin is low I get dizziness and nausea.

Hope it all works out ok.

Paine.

I've just been put back on this, good ol' Largactil and on a dosage strong enough to bring down a small horse! :( Waiting for those side effects to kick in, so far it is just overwhelming head fogginess, headaches and nocturnal blindness.

Archived