Mental Health Forums

Advice On Prn Medication

rebeccaborderline

Hi,

Im having a bit of a crap time at the moment. Im going to go to my GP and ask for PRN meds for the really rough patches coz they can get pretty unbearable. I used to use Chlopromazine (Largactil), pretty effective, but Im on Risperidone now as my normal meds and you cant take the two together, bad for the heart. You can take extra risperidone as a PRN but I have found this completely ineffective. Ive taken my last 2 diazepam tabs this past couple of days, 5mgs each, but found they just werent strong enough. I think my GP won't prescribe a stronger dose, and may refuse to prescirbe diazepam/benzos at all.

Any ideas whats a good PRN that I can take with Risperidone?

Thanks

rebeccaborderline

NB PRNs are a fast acting short term med for crisis periods, its Latin for something

i am prescribed 40mg diazipam daily and 1mg lorazepam,.. was supposed to be prn but i got addicted.. i take extra seroquel too but u r on respiridone and u said it doesnt help to take extra, which is a shame. hugs, ivy x

I took extra benzos with resperidone and they seemed to work okay. Shame about the Largactil, I am on a number of neuroleptics and they aren't supposed to be used in combination either but the pdoc has weighed up the risk involved I guess (well here's hoping anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

its a good phrase. i like it.

i was on prn for sleep meds. i think i liked it too much and i stopped.

but we are straying far from the initial post and i am of no help.

i think you should get a second opinion from another gp or psychiatrist. see what else they can prescribe.

Archived