Mental Health Forums

Want To Come Off Meds

sunshine_bear

I don't even know why I do, I just do. I know the times not right, but I just dont want to take them anymore. So I am going to come off them. They made me put weight on anyway.

how about just slowly coming off one

.. dont do it all at once or you will get ill.. i remember u r on mirtazipine, right?

i came off it beginning of this year cos i put on 3 stone and have lost 2 1/2 stone since.. but im still on my sertraline and seroquel and vallies and lorazepam.. i am desperate to come off my meds too, but i know im not well enough physically or mentally yet so im not going to.. ive had my seroquell trebbled recently and its keeping me from tripping out, and to me that is more important right now than coming off my meds.

of course it is up to you, .. coming of mirtazipine was fine, but when i came off all meds last year i oded so from personal experience, i would advise you to think carefully if you are in the right space to do it, and definitely, if you do, do it gradually.. it can be horrendous going cold turkey.

hugs, ivy x

Sometimes things we want to do so badly, may not be in our best interest. Maybe talking to the doc about it first so they can let you know how to go about it correctly instead of cold turkey? Education on the side affects etc; so you know what to expect? Good luck hun

I don't even know why I do, I just do. I know the times not right, but I just dont want to take them anymore. So I am going to come off them. They made me put weight on anyway.

well if it is paracetamol your coming off from than fine,

but i would rather take the weight than feel mentally ill.

your choice, but it is dangerous.

Your Ivy I am on mirtazepine and have not been on it that long a few months I think and I have put like a stone on.

I hate taking tablets so much and I dont want to take them. So I am thinking I will see what happens.

sunshine,

I made the choice to come off my meds in Sept. I have been med free since, don't even take aspirin, lol. One of the biggest reasons I chose to go med free was because I had gained weight and was feeling fat.

I did however talk to both my doc and T about what my strategies were going to be for coping. Neither one of them liked the idea of me going off my meds at the time but they didn't try and stop me. I find it takes a lot more consistent work to be well and stable, but it is possible you have to be committed to your recovery and don't stop working at when things feel like they are falling apart all around you.

I made a list of pro's and con's of getting off of meds around the time I did it, I go back and read that from time to time too. Good luck, and do your best to work with your support network.

Sah

I went off meds too. Was on antidepressants for so long wasting time and money and pills, figured I would be better off without them, and feel better w/out them anyhow. Now, I know it is just ME who is doing the work, not some drug. Not saying meds don't work, just for me...they didn't help and they didnt' hurt so what was the point.

Might want to keep an eye on your mood, etc. Coming off meds can sometimes mess you up a little for a week or so.

If you're really that determined, I would come off the drugs slowly, under the doctor's supervision. Any other way and you could severely relapse, then God knows what could happen to you.

Play it safe or not at all.

Archived