Mental Health Forums

Lithium And Acne

flightlessdove

I was fortunate to grow up with really clear skin, i never have had acne or even small breakouts.

Now im 26 and my face is a mess and Whats more its scarring pretty badly. I know its not hormonal and it has no pattern or connection with my cycle, so i after almost a year i asked my pharamicist about it. Although not a comon side effect, lithium can cause acne. Apparently the igher the dose the worse it is :'(

Ive just had mine reduced to see if it helps as i dont see the point in taking a mood stabalising drug if its side effects are getting me so down. Coming down from any drug isnt cool, nor does having to go out when you feel extremely ugly and like people are stearing at you.

Thought i would share this info with anyone taking lithium incase its had this effect on you too, and your'e unware thats what it is.

Good luck, and im sorry you had to go through this too.

that actually makes sense cos it only started with me when they upped my dose to the max they would. bugger. thankyou i will ask next time i see my pdoc.

Lithium caused me to have acne too.

I have a tip though, taking garlic supplements every day can help clear up your skin. I cant give garantee´s but it worked for me.

Lilly

Lithium caused me to have acne too.

I have a tip though, taking garlic supplements every day can help clear up your skin. I cant give garantee´s but it worked for me.

Lilly

Where can you buy these?

Yup, unfortunately that is a nasty side-effect of it. I got it too and tried a lot of things to clear it up but to no avail, but having a good skin care routine, taking supplements and things can help. I never had problems with it until I was on Lithium. Another thing I've gathered it's not really acne either but more of a rash so that garlic would help would make sense since it's an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial.

There is a tablet available that sorts out Acne - it is incredibly powerfull and only available through a dermatologist via a GP.

I can't for the life of me think of it's name.

I'll remember in a minute

There is a tablet available that sorts out Acne - it is incredibly powerfull and only available through a dermatologist via a GP.

I think it's called Roacutane ?

I'll check with my CPN tomorrow

Moley

I think it's called Roacutane ?

I'll check with my CPN tomorrow

Moley

Yep It's called ' Roaccutane ' but it can only be prescribed by a Dermatologist

Roaccutane is a wonder drug for those that have serious acne - if you take this please be aware that it will dry your skin out and you will be at high risk in the sun for burning. Also it may react with other drugs you are taking. Just do your homework before taking it :)

As a beautician i have seen every type of skin and skin prob possible. Its not pretty most of the time.

Dont rule it out just be careful.

Dove,

Lithium gave me acne too! I gained about 25 pounds and then the acne started. I quit taking it for those reasons along with the fact that after about 5 months it wasn't controlling my depression anymore. Gaining weight and getting acne didn't help that either!

A very good brazillian friend of mine swears by cooking cabbage, then drinking the water that its been cooked in after it's cooled down twice a week.

Works bloody miracles for acne!

Archived