Mental Health Forums

Religion & Mental Illness

Ollieclews

religion is actually part of my abuse history, so i struggle alot when it comes to it.

there was a point where i tried to turn to religion and i tried very hard to find some form of higher power or something to see if it helped, unfortunately it didnt and i actually became worse - i was unaware of the things in my past at that point and hadnt realised that by being more and more persistant with trying to find religion i was triggering myself massively and i lost alot of time due to switching.

i actually struggle greatly to relate to and understand religion, as much as i tried it just didnt make an ounce of sense to me. i'm glad it helps some people, but it also destroys many people as well. i think religion is a powerful thing that you have to be able to have control over because if you're not careful it can ruin you and you will think you're the one with the power. it's sad that people can become so manipulated by something that's meant to be uplifting but there are far more people than people realise who use religion to hurt others repeatedly, they use it as a weapon.

now, i'm a firm believer in science but i'm not the type to dismiss something that doesnt make sense. until something is proven to not be real, i'll be happy to believe that it exists. in other words, i believe that gods from all religions are possibly real, i believe in things that arent explained by science purely because there isnt a way to disprove it at all - some things go further than we can see.

i guess i am fairly negative when it comes to religion but only because of my experiences, as long as people know what they're doing when it comes to religion then i'm happy for that person whether i understand or believe in what they do or not.

I became a Christian when I was a small child. My family weren't churchgoers or anything but I got sent out to sunday school so my parents could have time without me and my brother. I believe it was my faith that enabled me to survive childhood. I wasn't religious. I didn't go to church but my faith was real. When I was 16 I met some christians at college and through them more knowledgably chose to be a christian. It is that faith has kept me alive through many of my worst times. I became part of a church then and have been involved in churrch life for a lot of time since then.

I love being part of a christian community that believes all people are loved by God (regardless of sexuality, gender, ability, nationality, previous lifetyle, mental health etc.)

I hate institutional religion which is about rules, power, money, judgement - all things that I believe are opposite to the nature of the God I know.

I'm not religious though I apreciate why people turn to religion. As long as i'm not preached to, I have no issue with faith. I rely soley on myself to get me to where I need to be if things are difficult.

• 3 years later...

I'm Muslim. It helps me a lot! Praying 5 times a day is like the best therapy for me. I feel like when I wash myself, I am washing my worries away. Oh i've got BPD and depression btw . :)

I think it indeed can be a great thing and a really bad thing depending on who is the believer and they choose to use the religion so to speak. There is hope in it and comfort and then there are those that misuse religion to judge others and worse.

I tend to think that believing in some kind of higher power can be very helpfull and I know that for me things changed when I got into Buddism, I am not a Buddist I do not believe in Karma etc but their views on selfcompassion, suffering, life and their practises of meditation and such have been life changing for me in the best way.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm an atheist. i know the NHS hates this (when it's normal in society, and hardly qualifies as a mental illness in itself). but then i've often been "forced" to be religious by NHS people, but then i accept the world as it is. yes it's tough, but so what? i've chosen to think religion is silly, and well to the NHS self-choice is evil and not conservative. It is true that religion can help, but then religion can be perverted in any way, and it's wrong to say the "true religion" is always kindness. I think life is what we make of it, and coping skills are subjective. if life is bad, then sometimes it's just the way it is, and humans are naturally cruel.

Archived