Mental Health Forums

to take meds....

sniffles

ive been told that i need to be on meds really bad, but i just dont like them. i tried prozac for a little while and hated it. it mellowed me so much that i could not function for anything. any advice...please help.

~sniffles

tell them u need something that doesnt knock u out so much, there is plenty for the docs to choose from. you need to be persisstant.

last year i was on lotherpromine and that was brill didnt knock me out and certainly lifted my mood , but what works for me may not help you.

take care

shiney, is right there are alot for the docs to choose from and you never know when you find the right med it may help you get out of the dark hole you are finding yourself in at the moment. I would definatly say its worth trying, if they effect you badly you can always go back to the doc and get him/her to try something different

tc em xxx

Hi Sniffles, from what I know of the meds they all effect people differently. If they think you need meds then its probably worth a try and if they don't suit you then they will change them. They started me off on prozac too and I hated it, it didn't help at all so they changed them. It is scary the thought of being on meds and relying on them but you soon get used to it especially if they help a lot. Good luck, twilight :)

I tried Prozac for one week last year and it had the opposite effect on me, it kept me up for 6 hours every night with racing thoughts and when I did fall asleep, i would have hallucinations of bugs in my foiod and my skin. I would wake up not knowing what country I was in!! It also gave me a chronic headache. So now, I am on Amitrip or Elavil in the States, and it is an older antidepressant. They are careful not to give it possible suicidals, because too high a dose will be lethal. Anyway, I have started on the lowest dose possible, 10mg and am working up to 50 mg as my limit, depending on how it suits me. So far, haven't had any side effects except that I have to take it at night, because it will make me sleepy and that is good because I don't wake up with worrying thoughts that keep me awake for hours anymore. Any of those new antidepressants, like paxil, prozac etc are all in the same family of drugs, but it is a touch and go process. Hope it works out, I hesitated for a VERY long time before I tried them again, but I knew I needed something to get me through this rough patch.

:ph34r: Blessings!

Drugs can have different effects on different people and i suppose it should be discussed with the doctor. They all have many side effects. I was once on prozac and had no effects that you here are discussing. I have heard others that are much more distressing and i wouldnt suggest prozac to anyone after hearing them. i asked to be put on something else once i heard about these particular side effects.

stace

I have been on Amitrip for the past three weeks and I have had three weeks of great sleep! Before this I used to wake up in the middle of the night and lie there for a couple of hours (with no meds)See if your doc thinks this would be ok for you, I started on the lowest dose possible and am working my way up to 50 mg max. No other side effects I have noticed other than the drowsiness, which wears off in the morning.

Archived