Mental Health Forums

Risperidone And Heart Rate

Threemoons

Hi, seeking if someone has more info than me.

I started to take risperidone 1,5 mg last week and it seems to help a lot with flashbacks, hallucinations and sensorial overload but I noticed my heart beats a bit faster with it. On the notice papers they talk about hypotension and reflex tachycardia so I guess it may be that. Would like to hear the experience of the others with this med though.

I hope it's nothing too concerning and I will be able to keep risperidone until I don't need it anymore. Waited so long before they decided to try some meds with me, was exausting myself fighting all the time failure thing all by myself. Well, with psychoterapy of course but always felt it was not enough and I was overworking myself to maintain a good functioning. I know some of you have a long history of trying different meds but my current relief feels like a mini miracle I don't want to let go. Have missed too many days off work already due to mental exhaustion and the confusion/paranoia induced by it. I fear I would go back to the disabling storm if my meds were to be changed now.

Really hoping it's a benign starting side effect that will go away as I continue the medication.

I haven't taken the medication but my heart is 'naturally' fast so maybe I can reassure you a bit?

But first of all everyone is different so it's likely that whats true for me won't be true to you. If you have any concerns the best person to go to is your doctor. Even if all they do is take your pulse and say its not a problem that can be a weight off your mind.

I have a natural resting tachycardia of around 108 beats per minute. The cardiologist discharged me and my GP said I shouldn't worry about it but I should keep taking my pulse and if its regularly going over 110 I should tell her at my next appt. But this is what the GP said to me as an individual patient, if you take your pulse please don't base it on these numbers as being ok/not ok as I don't have a normal heart. But if the medication is only making your heart a little bit faster it is likely not to be a major problem. If you go to the GP it might be helpful to take your pulse at various times and make a note of the beats per minute. Lots of people's hearts speed up in a GP's surgery (mine actually slows down, maybe because my mum isn't there) but going to an unusual place to talk about something that worries you might not give you a typical heartbeat.

My anti-d is amitriptiline and that is aparently supposed to increse my heartbeat. when I went down from 3 to 2 as an experiment it didn't make any difference to my heart but my doctor did agree that if going down to 2 made me feel noticeably more depressed I would be allowed to go back up to 3 despite the pressure on my heart. I went back up to 3. If my pulse does go over 110 a lot I might have to go back to2 again but if your GP sees your mh as being important then I'm sure they won't want to take you off the medication that helps if they can possibly avoid it,

My GP also tried me on a beta blocker called propranolol for my heart, this has no effect either but of your GP wants to slow your heart but continue to treat your mh problems you might be able to take a beta blocker as well as what your taking now. Beta blockers can help with mh problems as well.

BUT I'm not a doctor so if you have any concerns I think you should see your GP or at least make a phone appt. Its probably ok but its always a good idea to see a professional and make sure your ok where your health is concerned.

Thank you a lot, Emma, to have taken the time to reassure me. It was all about it, being reassured before my appointment.

I've seen the psychiatrist today, didn't take my pulse or anything but what I told him is not worrying to his opinion. My heart is not fast all the time, just races when I probably get a bit of hypotension when moving too brutally. Between these times it stays at its normal rate around 76 per minute. I should be fine, no problem. I guess my heart was not the true worry, I'm used to palpitations from stress. It had more to do with the "miracle" I feel this medication is doing to my mental health and the fear that this "miracle" could end.

In fact the doc was very happy to see my improvements and it's likely I'll keep this medication for a while. With it I've a lot less flashbacks/hallucinations/paranoid thoughts, the positive change is quite impressive! I'm happy. The few secondary effects I feel, I'm willing to pay them for such an improvement.

Again, thank you Emma for the reassuring words. I hope your own heart to be gentle with you. :)

Just a word to say that the hint about hypotension is confirmed. I get slight bits of vertigo when I move too fast during the first hours after taking the medicine, feel alright the rest of the time. I've just to learn to slow down a little during the evenings, that's all.

Some tablets can be like that. I'm allergic to wasp stings and the medication makes me feel so ill for the first hour or so. But its not so bad once you've worked out how long it lasts and what you can do to make it easier.

i found that my heart rate went up when taking that anti psychotic its still up now because of the current anti psychotics that i'm on but you get use to it

Archived