Mental Health Forums

Ambien Aka Zolpiderm?

EmilyStrange

I'm switching from Zopiclone to Ambien because i'm developing too much of a tolerance. My psychiatrist doesn't give a shit but I do, so I requested the change. Ambien has only just become available in my country. I haven't taken it yet, as the 5mg dosage has had to be special ordered for me!

Anyone here take it?

haha one of the side effects listed is "flatulence" :D Right on. I sleep alone 99% of the time anyway and I don't think my dog will mind! There is the rare side effect of hallucinations and sleep walking etc. that scare me though.

I take Ambien Control Release and I used to take plain Ambien. I'm on a much higher dosage than 5 mg, mine are 12.5 mg. They help me get to sleep well, but I recommend that when you take it you lay down and try to sleep, because it can get you pretty sleepy and you do have the chance of hallucinations and memory loss, but it isn't that common if you just go to bed right after taking it. I've stayed up on it a lot and it can make you feel like you are kind of tripping a bit as it is sedative aka hypnotic. It seems that Ambien is similar to Zopiclone as it is a hypnotic as well. I think you will be ok on it as long as you use it as prescribed.

Hope it works for you! xxx

Hannah

Well I have been taking 3 Zopiclones to sleep... (7.5mg/pill)... so hopefully for my livers sake I will do better with 5-10 mg pills and not have to take so much to sleep. The pharmacist said it would take 15-20 mins to kick in, and to take a 2nd 5mg pill if it didn't kick in after 20mins. I just don't see how 10mg is going to work though after such a high dosage of a similar hypnotic class. However I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry.

I've never had hallucinations on Zopiclone... just felt high, and then passed out and had the memory loss thing.

Thanks for the intel :)

Since this is a different medicine than Zopliclones it might not take more than 5 mg of Ambien to work. Ambien is the same type side effects as you described on your previous medicine, feeling high, memory loss, and then just passing out. So I doubt you will have any worse side effects from this medicine.

Glad to be of help, hope it works on a lower dose for you. xxx

Hannah

Well.... no farting, but it was a long night from hell. I was in and out of sleep. I ended up taking 2 5mg pills. It was a night filled with realistic nightmares, and I think I may have done some sleep walking. I think the doseage was either too low or it was withdrawals from the Zopiclone. I'm going to ride it out for the rest of the weekend with 2 5mg pills of Ambien, and see what the Pharmacist says on Monday. Not good so far :(

I'm wide awake today (since about 7:30am.. or who the hell knows), but then that is due to the Topamax I take.

Take note - those who are switching from Zopiclone to Ambien.

I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time with the switching over :( I hope it is just from withdrawals from the Zopiclone because it will eventually go away. I don't think a low dose would cause the side effects you had. When you took the second 5mg Ambien did you get to sleep? I know I had to switch over from the regular Ambien to the Control Released because it kept me asleep more often than when I took just the Ambien to help me to get to sleep.

I hope it gets better, and I would definitely talk to the Pharmacist on Monday. I wonder if the Topamax reacted to the Ambien, did your Dr say anything about mixing them?

Hope you get a good nights rest soon. xxx

Hannah

Thanks Hannah :)

I say I think it was the low dose... because I had the same thing one night when I tried to cut the dose of Zopiclone down to just 1 pill (down from 2-3). I don't know anything about Ambien Controlled Release... I doubt they have that in my country yet, considering that regular Ambien only just made it here :( It's expensive too!

Topamax doesn't interact with any sleeping pills... but I react differently to Topamax than other people, the Dr's say. Most people get drowsy on it, whereas it's a stimulant for me. They don't seem concerned though, and i'm not strung out like I was when I was on Wellbutrin.

Guess it's Zopiclone withdrawals.... ugh i've read that Ambien withdrawals are worse though because there are more physical side effects like stomach cramping etc. I guess I'll just flip flop back and forth over the next few months between Ambien and Zopiclone until i'm in a better phase in life where i'm ready to come off of them.

I hope it gets to where you tolerate it better and get the right dosage for you. I know that can be difficult to have reactions like that to meds. I've had my fair share of bad side effects and had to get off the medicine or push through until it got better with dosage changes.

Hannah

You seem very tolerant to hypnotics, I had Zolpidem at a point of my life and I remember one pill usually sent me really deep in sleep. I'm sorry these medications are not working so well on you and I hope you find something more helpful soon. Not being able to sleep properly is exhausting.

B. says he doesn't want these pills anymore, he felt so manupulated on them. I hope you don't get the paranoia he got from them either.

Last night wasn't much better..... I had no nightmares... but the pills barely made me drowsy - just made me feel a bit bit hungover. I had to take an ativan with them to sleep want wasn't able to sleep until 3hrs later.

I went to the pharmacist tonight to get the Zopiclone again, and she said that it is likely just not ever going to work for me. She told me that she's heard of several people taking 3 pills of Zopiclone and not to worry.

Threemoons, yes - I suppose I have built a tolerance for hypnotics because I've been taking them for 3.5 months now. The other medication i'm on is a stimulant, so it takes a fair bit to knock me out! lol

Sleep has always been a problem for me, since I was a child... and then when my stress levels peaked last Nov. I started taking the Zopiclone. Then I started taking Wellbutrin... and then that ensured that I could never stop.. haha and then I just became hooked on them, and then got off the Wellbutrin and switched to another med.

If you can sleep without these aids, that's great!

Also Threemoons, I wanted to thank you for all the other advice and input you've offered in my other threads that I abandoned because I wasn't in the right head space etc. You always have such caring words for everyone :)

No problem, Emily, I like to help people, it's my nature. I'm very happy if it helped a bit. Hold on dear, you seem a lovely person.

I take ambient 10mg when I can't sleep and need to be on a regular sleep schedule of some sort. I've never had any side effects and it really helps me to deal with stress better by being able to get a good nights rest. Just knowing that is there as options makes me feel better I am sure.

lol I'm back on the 3 Zopiclone pills now - and have the one pharmacist on my side who won't give me shit when I go through prescription too fast :D She's the only one who isn't concerned about the 3 pills though... the other pharmacists and drs say 2 max. haha oh well now it's the green light to just stick with what I know will work for now - but god help me if I have to start taking 4! It took me an hour and 20 mins to fall asleep last night instead of an hour. hmm. It's clear though that Ambien isn't strong enough for me.

Saharah you are lucky that you don't have to rely on it

well I am not working or in school at the moment, but when I am again I am positive it would become a need at some point. I hope your are able to get some rest, it feels horrible to not sleep.

I'm happy that you can sleep with the 3 Zopiclone. A bit worried about the doctors saying 2 max though, there must be a reason. Wish you good restoring nights.

I hope you can start sleeping well!

I used to take Ambien but it caused me to become violent, hallucinate severely, and sleep walk. I attacked myself in my sleep a few times and went after my brother. D:

It makes me wary of that drug now.

And yeah it can cause realistic nightmares.

Hopefully you start sleeping on the Zopiclone!

Thanks for posting Riverspell... I noticed that the second night I took it I started to get irritable - I also started to hallucinate. I saw tracers. I think if I would've continued on it I just may have had the same reaction as you.. only I wasn't able to sleep on it. Who know though, maybe I would've adjusted. I live alone, but my dog sleeps with me and wouldn't want to hurt her!

I sleep on the Zopiclone again, as long as I take 3 pills. However, I am finding I am waking too early (but am able to fall back asleep). I think this is due to the extreme situational anxiety I am under right now, and sleeping pills will only do so much when a person is under this much strain :(

Ah, you live alone Emily. Isn't the loneliness weighting on your shoulders too? I also live alone when it's possible and find it hard to go through sometimes, could understand it's hard for you too maybe. Take care dear nice buddy.

The loneliness drove me to insanity.. and it put me into the hospital that night.. as it always does. However it's just gotten ridiculous lately and it's been putting me into compromising situations and I think i'm ready to isolate from the world for a while now...

Aw, if you need to step back a little from people contact it's fine but please be careful to not step back too far nor too long, okay? I do this all the time when not well but you may need to be cautious as it could go too deep in isolation and we don't want that. At least stay accessible to help.

Did you try to use music or TV as a background sound to fight loneliness? It can help a little sometimes. You maybe can invite your neightboors some day. And I found that participating in an association as benevolant can be a great ease too.

I can't ever be in silence... I don't leave my place much (except to work a bit, do errands, therapy, and workout), so if i'm home I have to have movies on or music. Silence drives me to too many thoughts.

I'm not social with neighbours, however I did talking with someone who just moved into the building recently. I don't trust the dark people and their passengers i'm attracting into my life at the moment though

Well, if you don't feel safe with some people you're probably not forced to see them. Please be cautious with who you allow to enter in your life. I wish you to stay safe and meet lighter people. Didn't see it at first but there's plenty of them hidden in the corners until you speak one or two words with them.

Archived