Mental Health Forums

Wellbeing Service And My Job

starryeyesee

I saw the wellbeing practice for the first time on Monday. She asked me what causes me stress and I told her about my job-I'm a part time activities organiser for people with dementia in a nursing home. I've been told by my new boss that I look stressed all the time and to do my job I have to be cheerful and outgoing and that I may not be suitable for the job. I saw her yestrday briefly and she said I seemed less stressed but I've been hiding it at work and falling apart when I get home.

I've been getting shouted at a lot and my co worker has been swapping my shifts without asking me and keeps trying to get me into trouble. I feel completely unsupported and the only time I stop thinking about work is the hour after taking my meds and falling asleep.

The wellbeing advisor has told me to see the disability and employment advisor at the jobcentre and tell them about how work is affecting my mental health . On my health form for work I put depression and my meds but didn't tell them about the BPD.

I"m terrified of the DWP contacting work and getting into trouble. My mum thinks I should be signed off because I am so stressed.

I'm just terrified of losing this job because of my mental health. I've been making plans (sui) and SH thoughts all the time.

How much do I tell the DWP and work? Has anyone experience of work and mental health?

sorry for the long post.

x

does the company have an occupational health adviser? they might be able to help make changes to your job to help with the stress and you can tell them as little or much as will help. i had a phone appt with one recently and it isnt scary xx

I used to work part time as an activities coordinstor too. It's so stressful. I ended up with a phobia of going in and couldn't go in. My boss wd unsupportive and quite insulting when I said I couldn't cope with the stress any more. Despite him being really complementary up to that point. I had to quit. Feel so bad that you are going through such a tough time. Sounds like you maybe need to find somdghingnew and less stressful, any caring work instead? Xxx

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder which came first. The stress levels in doing the job to your satisfaction or the pressure from your boss? If the job itself was causing you stress it may be that a change of role or further training would be helpful at this time. However, if it is the pressure from your boss that is causing you such stress then you will need to decide whether to make a complaint or challenge it in some way, or find ways to tolerate it or talk to the job centre etc. and leave in such a way that you are still entitled to benefits since it could be called a constructive dismissal or retirement due to ill health.

It does sound like you have some good support. Let them help and stay safe. x

Archived