Mental Health Forums

Dealing With Trauma In Therapy

Fanta

I have now had 4 sessions with my new therapist and she wants to me to deal with my childhood as she seems to think this is what is causing me so many problems, I told her today that I still feel like a child emotionally and she said this is very common in people that have had crappy childhoods.

That is just how I felt. When I was in my 20s I behaved childishly. Now I control it, but I still feel like a frightened and insecure child inside, who just wants to be protected and hugged and needs peoples approval.

I hope you manage to open up to your therapist - it will help you in the end.

that's perfectly normal, considering that you have had trauma in your childhood, you may have parts of you that are still very intune with those early years as well as having behaviours which you picked up which kept you 'safe' as a child. I suppose in a way she may want to help you feel and express emotions you didn't get to- and in doing so it'll help you move forward and feel less like that frightened child and more like the capable adult that you are (which you've shown you are). The feelings are natural, I hope that you can work with your therapist to bring you the change you want and deserve xx

Archived