Mental Health Forums

Therapy

Sauron_Wulf

Has anybody else been told they are too ill for therapy?

I really want therapy and have done for so many years now it's silly but everytime I go to one they say I'm to ill.

How can you be too ill?

I have never been told that "directly" but indirectly. Many therapist dont want to deal with BPD patients. I have read one book about BPD, where a patient was told he was too ill for hospital.

Personally in my latest experiences in hospital, I consider myself too ill for hospital. My last stay was in a sectioned withdrawal clinic with a lot of heroin and alcoholics. They made life hell for me, so YES. I would say I am too ill for hospital.

If I ever go back I would only give DBT a try. Because you are amongst your own.

Elke

I really feel for you being told this, it must be very demoralising. (It always makes me angry, that the psychiatric profession has "discovered" a mental illness THEY themselves stigmatize as being "TOO ILL" for therapy. It makes no sense.......

There are certain therapies that can make you worse if youre not in the right state of mind for it ai too ill.

However I dont think its right they leave you without any support.

Have they explained to you why,their thinking here?Have you asked?

I tried to ask what they meant but it didn't come out right, I think they replied by saying I was not admitting I had a problem properly aand refused to believe I had certain issues. I'm not really certain what they meant it was all very confusing because the therapist that I saw made a big deal of me saying I was impulsive and we didn't speak about anything else much.

Alls i know if your not ready for therapy would be:

If you were selfharming

Under influence of alcohol.

Thats what i could remember.

Archived