Mental Health Forums

Help For A Journey

Cally

My mum's having to have a full hip replacement and I have to go and stay with her for a week or so after her operation. She doesn't have anyone else and I couldn't say no, I don't think she would ever forgive me if I did.

I'm agoraphobic and have major anxiety problems but after recently starting meds I feel a lot better and I've been able to go out without panic attacks (been to Tesco's a few times and to some other shops). I think I'll be fine at my mums but the journey is going to be difficult and it's that that's really scaring me. I'll be in a car for over two hours.

Is there anything I can take to keep me calm/sedate me/make me sleep for the journey? Will be calling the docs tomorrow but thought I'd ask here too.

Good to know you are helping your mother!!!!
I think is better talk to your doctor about medication, but you can listen music, watch a movie, or read.
Forget that you are in the car and relax .
Have a good trip!!!! ;)

Hi. Lici told good advices, I too think that the key is to forget about the car. Maybe you can take with you some distractions like word games or sudokus. Or try to pick a color of car and count those you encounter. Will there be other passenger with you? If yes you could ask them to chat with you. Have a nice trip.

Thanks for the tips. I can't read as I get carsick and listening to music doesn't help but I can try a movie or tv show (will most likely watch Bones, will have my laptop with me) and there will be one passenger. Don't know the people picking me up though so will most likely feel a bit awkward anyway.

Hoping there is some sort of med I can take, don't know if I can take anything on top of the paroxetine though.

Archived