Mental Health Forums

I Am Going To Ask For Apsychotherapist And Keep On Asking!

rufusmoo

I'm going to stop winging about how crap DBT is and do something about it.

I'm going to ask for a psychotherapist at the place I go. If I'm not prepared

to even ask and try I don't deserve to complain.

I'm going to keep on asking and asking until something is done. I know there is

a psychotherapy dept adn one size does not fit all for this DBT and it isn't right

for me.

Last year I saw a psychotherapist privately for a few months and he saved my

life, I wish I had the money to go and see him but I don't. He did more for me in

2 sessions then DBT has done for me in a year-should I tell them that?

Rumoo x

Do you have a one to one as part of your DBT? If you do, then they are usually trained therapists.

When i had DBT i had group sessions and a one to one with a therapist weekly.

Whilst doing one type of therapy, it's very unlikely that they will put you forward for another until the other therapy is over and they feel you need more help. Two therapies at once can also conflict and may possibly cause you more harm than good.

My advice would be, if you are recieving one to one as part of your DBT, is to discuss your issues and concerns with this person about DBT. If you feel it isn't working, the one to one sessions are the place to talk about that (also discuss this with your CPN and Consultant Psychiatrist)

If you are not having one to one sessions as part of DBT, then speak with your CPN and Consultant Psychiatrist about your issues and concerns with DBT and that you feel it isn't working. Ask if you could do another therapy when DBT has finished, or discuss options of finishing DBT and being referred to another form of therapy that best suits your needs. But be aware that there may be a waiting list.

You cannot self refer for therapy on the NHS. Your care team is your gateway to referral. So you need to be open and honest with all of them about how you feel DBT is not for you. Then they will refer you if there is a need. They are the ones you need to keep on at.

Aurora :)

Thanks for your replies guys.

No I don't get 1:1 therapy at all. See my CPN weekly but she says she wants to start pulling back and

leave it to the DBT but it does nothing for me so i'm getting desperate really.

That's why I have to do something about this before it's too late x

P.S. Date, thanks for the link x

The actual DBT model is to have both group and individual therapy.

All DBT can be said to involve two components:
  • Individual - The therapist and patient discuss issues that come up during the week (recorded on diary cards) and follow a treatment target hierarchy. Self-injurious and suicidal behaviors take first priority. Second in priority are behaviors which, while not directly harmful to self or others, interfere with the course of treatment. These behaviors are known as therapy-interfering behaviors. Third in priority are quality of life issues and working towards improving one's life generally. During the individual therapy, the therapist and patient work towards improving skill use. Often, a skills group is discussed and obstacles to acting skillfully are addressed.
  • Group - A group ordinarily meets once weekly for two to two-and-a-half hours and learns to use specific skills that are broken down into four skill modules: core mindfulness, interpersonal effectiveness, emotion regulation, and distress tolerance.

Neither component is used by itself; the individual component is considered necessary to keep suicidal urges or uncontrolled emotional issues from disrupting group sessions, while the group sessions teach the skills unique to DBT, and also provide practice with regulating emotions and behavior in a social context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectical_behavior_therapy

I've seen some people discuss just only doing group and calling it DBT, but in my opinion, that's not the proper DBT model. I wonder whether it's because in some areas they may not have the resources.

I'd investigate and see what you can find out, but as i said before, self referral to NHS Psychotherapy doesn't happen, so you would ideally need to get your CPN and/or Consultant Psychiatrist on your side to refer you to a Psychotherapist.

Aurora :)

OMG I didn't realise that the 2nd part was supposed to happen-1:1

I'm going to investigate and find out why this isn't happening-this is a massive failure. No wonder I struggle with it so much.

They have this skills based training thing where you are supposed to ring up and ask to speak to one of them if you are struggling-who you get

is pot luck... never used this as I have no faith or trust in this or the people whatso ever...

Thanks for highlighting this to me Aurora... I'm feeling massively let down by this system as I now realise they are not doing what they are supposed to

be doing but it's up to me to be proactive and do something-at least it shows me and them that I am serious about getting better and accepting help..

xx

Archived