Mental Health Forums

Lamotrigine?

EmilyStrange

It's apparently a better mood stabilizer than Topamax... I don't know much about it. Anyone here take it? I take Topamax, and it's overwhelming to think about the long term effects of staying on Topamax... just to keep my weight down - because if i'm honest, that's the only reason i'm staying on it! I suppose it lowers my urges to self-harm through impulsive drinking/pill taking. I just had to recently up my dose from 50mg to 75mg, as it stopped working, and I had started to get the urges again.

My appetite is back unfortunately, and i'm binging on sugar again.

Does Lamotrigine cause weight gain or weight loss? Topamax I knew would pretty much be a guaranteed weight loss pill. I can't afford to take gambles. I have turned down Cipralex, and have obsessively done my homework and phoned round the pharmacists and concluded that I would gain at least 2lbs on that. I am petite and endomorphic - it would show easily.

A slim physique is all I have left of my broken life... I have to hold onto that.

Another thing I don't like about Topamax is the brain farts. I'm not sure I can go through what's left of my life like this... however long I choose to live it. I'm taking a course and the exam is next week. I'm feeling distinctly foggy, and had to tell the course conductor about my meds - that I just upped them(she works in the medical field) and that I may need an extension.

Maybe Lamotrigine is my answer?

Archived