Mental Health Forums

No Point In Posting. But I'll Do It Anyways.

Riverspell

I know I've worn out my welcome but I'd like to ask for advice anyways. =/

I'm going to be four days cold turkey without most of my meds. Including my thyroid, my birth control, my Tegretol, my Seroquel XR and most likely my Abilify. There's a couple more that I haven't counted out the pills yet because I don't need to freak out more than I already am.

What I'm looking for is advice on how to handle the withdrawals. The Tegretol especially. When I don't have Tegretol I vomit like crazy and have severe stomach cramps and the runs. The other meds give me a variety of other withdrawal symptoms. Including shaking really bad, spasms in my legs and arms, inability to sleep...It goes on. I've even noted a couple times that my heart rate wasn't right but I think that might have just been an anxiety attack.

Please, if anyone else (and I'm sure there's a few of you) know ways to deal with withdrawals it'd be awesome and appreciated for the help. I'm already freezing my butt of and shaking and having occasional spasms. Also can't sleep. Tried to already.

I know a few tricks. But I'm looking for any other wisdom from you awesome people. =)

perhaps you could halve the dose on some

or halve the frequency

so every other day

or once a day instead of twice

this would keep some in your system and double the time before you have none

I considered that and told my parents that was my idea and they promptly bit my head off and informed me I'm taking the full dosage of my pills and that they will watch me take them.

Sometimes parents are a pain in the rump. >.>

if you have enough that you can wein yourself off I hightly suggest going that route because stopping taking them suddenly can make you very ill and with some drugs can even be dangerous (especially some of the mh/seizure meds that overlap you could potentially have a seizure if you were on a high dose and immediately stopped taking I'm pretty sure)

then in terms of the symptoms not much will help I've been there myself and you usually will have to ride out a lot of night sweats and stuff... (I usually try to get a tiny bit of weed for my pain when I'm coming off a different med so that's what helps me but I don't know what other people do) maybe epson salts baths would be good......i also highly recommend you don't stop taking your birth control randomly unless you are done the pack and have decided to go off it because that can complicate things..sometimes you can get birth control covered or partially covered (cuz also hormone changes can affect mental health)

get lots of rest and if you notice any huge slips in mental health make sure you have a crisis plan/resources on hand

Thanks you guys.

My parents got the most important meds I needed to day. Except for the Seroquel XR. Because the price just went from 80 dollars to 1000. Not kidding. So I'm going to wean myself off that one whether or not my parents want me to. =/ I refuse to go flat cold turkey. I feel sick enough right now.

yeah like I said definitely better to wean yourself off so I think your smart to go that route

wow that is expensive eh......the problem I have here sometimes too is the ones that are covered are the non brand name version......but they aren't the same! you can tell in your body the way they react and sometimes the pharmacist will look at you like you are being a brand name snob or something... that happened to me recently actually I was going to get my birth control and I told the lady at the counter that I didn't realize I had better coverage on my plan than I was accessing could she swith it over and start using that one and that apparently my birth control should be covered on that one......she said yes but only the no name one.......then I was like oh well nevermind then........and she gave me this puzzled look and I tried explaining to her it's not the same drug it's not a vanity thing it's a practicality thing of if my body already tolerates this one drug it's a bigger decision to switch to one that is similar but not the exact same than people might think cuz actually I've tried that no name version before and my body didn't tolerate it as well

sorry I've digressed and gone kind of off topic I do that sometimes lol but I would say have good supports on hand if you decide to come of the seroquel cuz I would imagine there are potential for some mental health crisis when coming off a strong drug like that and I know sometimes for myself when it's a time when I don't have support sometimes I forget to even think about it... I don't think that makes sense the way I said it lol let me give an example....for example when I'm on my period sometimes I get a lot more depressed/suicidal etc or right before my period..but then when I'm living alone etc I sometimes forget to even think about the fact that that might be contributing to the strength/duration of those feelings and that if I ride them out they might lesson to a great degree........so maybe just keep that in mind for awhile remind yourself...I'm weaning now I'm sensitive lol and allow for that sensitivity and prepare for it have some self soothe things on hand

*hugs*

Yeah, I understand the brand name deal. For my Lactaid I always get the brand name. I've tried cheaper off brand labels and none of them work. Had similar deals with medications. =/ So I totally get where you are coming from. My parents think me a snob too for sticking to the brand name on most stuff.

I'm glad I'm seeing my psych on the 3rd of October. It'll be my only chance to see her next month and I have to get off this Seroquel XR cause I can't afford it. I have SEVERE reactions to changes in my meds which is why she does them so rarely and only if absolutely necessary. Last couple times we did a radical, several pill change to my meds I ended up in the hospital cause I went bonkers. I do NOT want to spend my 21st birthday in the hospital. That just sucks.

Hopefully my parents will understand all this and instead of grumping at me for being grumpy and moody, they'll help me out. Keep me sane and such. Cause I have tendency to over react to things. I'm sure you guys have noticed this. xD

Well take some time anyways to plan ahead have some copes in place

Myabe make yourself a focus list/reminder of long term goals or an encouragment poster for down times to refocus, keep coming here if you need to and have some distractions on hand and ready some skils to use...I don't know if you feel this way this could just be my personal feeling about seroquel perhaps interfering and biasing me but I find sometimes people I've known to be on that drug dissociate a bit, so the fear in coming off it is the feelings then get re-felt and a lot of negative feelings could potentially bubble up

after getting used to a bit of numb of those feelings it can be pretty distressing to feel them all at once so if that is your experience maybe have some comedies on hand and a lot of self soothe stuff, soft blankets, hot baths... a friend to call or something that reminds you of your focus, the positives etc

you're doing fine, it's going to be hard but you can and will do it

xo

I've been taking your message to heart. I worked out a plan for my dad to take me out on the 1st so I can get the remaining pills they couldn't get. And pick myself up some cheap tea. All mine is stale. Blech. Tea really helps me to relax, decaf or otherwise. Though I prefer something with caffeine. I also rifled through my room and found the two fuzzy posters I'd been saving for a rainy day. I think I have more, but these ones are big so they'll keep me going for a while.

I know a good portion of my planning will have to do with what my psych says, but I honestly can't see her working enough magic to get me a 1000 dollar bottle of pills. She may be able to give me a couple samples that can help me come down off it. But I don't think I'll be doing anything but coming off it.

I have noticed that even though I feel things, it's not like it used to be. With my pills most of the time I feel as if I'm just existing with these spots of sudden and alarming feelings but they don't last long. So if coming off this will make me feel all over again, this will be interesting. But I am taking your advice Arts.

Over the next couple days, while I am coming off the dratted pill (I have enough pills left for a four day descending period (one pill each day)), while any side effects I may have are hopefully not so bad until I am all off it, I will distract myself by cleaning up my room and doing my laundry. So all my bedding is clean. I love nothing more than curling up in fresh bedding on my bed with a book and tea. So I want that if I can get it. xD

I feel like I'm prepping for war or something, seriously. *salutes all*

We shall see how this goes and I will try not to annoy you all with a billion posts.

My parents are refusing to let me descend on the medication. They are telling me to take the full dose. >.> I guess it's there fault then if I drive them up the wall when I go cold turkey. Seriously though, I'm almost 21, why are they still controlling my meds like this? I know what i'm doing. >.<

are you stuck with them for financial reasons similar to how I'm stuck with some ties to my family? or can you distance yourself somehow? cuz if they are an influence on you that is making you feel less in control of your life/body/choices/destiny that can be a huge part of the problem and could also be subconciously as well affecting how you are coping with these stressful times

watch the Dr.Phil lifecode youtube videos describing baiters if you get a chance and check that list every now and again for people close to you that might fit the criteria to make healthy choices around that cuz i know for myself that helped me kind of affirm some intuition/feelings etc about some people in my life, family and close friends included, where even when I thought I had some power and control in situations it was actually often set up in a way where I had given some up

I'm with them because 1) I have like, no money except what I get from SSI 2) I'm attached and afraid to be without them 3) I'm not really capable of living on my own and I can't afford a group home.

I've waited til they went to bed (they didn't watch me take my meds) and now I'm doing it the way I want to do it.

I'm okay.....that's weird that I couldn't recieve a msg some other ppl have sent me messages I'm pretty sure

I think things are actually getting better it's just that this is a transition time and it's not like a smooth transition so sometimes it can be hard to tell that things are actually getting better, if that makes sense

still a little stressed over my own family issues and wanting to have a back up plan in case shit gets real with my housing and everything, but other than that good

love my classes, walking more, trying to keep my appartment in better shape (ish) lol (still a challenge for me with the fibro&living alone sometimes)

still struggling with some self judgements and interpretations and with letting go of other peoples opinions on me etc

and still annoyed that I can't figure out if this dude likes me or not and that I wish he would either stop sending me signals at all or just ask me out or something cuz I'm way too shy to do it and I've already mustered up about as much courage as I think I'm capable in that situation kind of hoping he'll meet me half way...or you know the whole way and just do it for me lol either that or just be less overly nice to me and treat me like everyone else cuz it's driving me bananas lol

I just want to know one way or another being stuck frustrates me to no end

it's funny cuz I like suprises but in some ways I just want to know the truth of what's going on so I can freaking assess it in my crazy over thinking brain...haha speaking of crazy over thinking brains...I love when things tie back into earlier things lol

other than all that jazz things are pretty zazzy

and yes I understand what you mean about your situation...but I wonder if how you're feeling isn't a sign that you should do similar to what I'm doing and secretly explore options behind thier back with an advocate or someone to help....I mean just because you feel you might need more help right now than I do and aren't ready to be as independent doesn't mean there couldn't be some better comprimise situation like what you said about group homes or whatever...maybe try talking to someone about options and at least getting on a waitlist or something..........actually getting on some sort of waitlist could be a good idea cuz I wish I had done some stuff like that sooner it would be easier to get things sorted if I had a back up in place right now like that, and now I'm stuck trying to figure one out

so maybe my semi-fail in this situation can help you semi-win lolol

Gradually reducing them is definitely a good idea, it will help.

You can get withdrawal effects which are the opposite of what the drug is supposed to do, and some more general ones which will make you feel pretty rubbish. I've been taken off a bunch of drugs in my time, though usually one at a time. You'll have a rough few weeks I expect. Make sure you get the support you need.

Still, if you feel they aren't doing anything great for you then it's better to not be on a load of stuff you don't need to be.

Well, it works for me if I say it to myself!

Thank you Shiny! You words give me further advice.

One more bit of advice I need from you lovely people.

My phone just died and I obviously can't get another one and my parents refuse to have a house phone. That damn phone is my lifeline during a bad night or day. It's like, the only way I can contact most of my supports. So now what?

that's a tricky one Riverspell...the only things I could think at the time being probably aren't that helpful but here's some:

bell online txt messaging- you can at least send outgoing that way if you have a computer

pay phone

sometimes if you switch phone companies you get a free phone

get one of your friends to give you one of thier old cell phones and just get it connected to your plan

libraries here have computers so I don't know if they do there but you could use the internet maybe to connect to people?

carrier pigeon

(ok the last one is just cuz I thought it was funny lol)

I read what u wrote from u post, u said u gave up thyxorine? that is one of your improtant tabs to take!!!! if not it will cause major probs with ur mood and will suffer with headaches and then hair falling out and then ur digestive system with have probs and then all sorts!

You need to take thyroxine. i take it, otherwise im not sure why ur giving up things?

Archived