Mental Health Forums

Cpn..

elliee

Hey guys,

So I need some advice.. I seem to keep falling on CPN's that enjoy cancelling on me and whatnot and really dont seem to be helping me at all..

I admit it makes me feel like absolute rubbish when they cancel and like they dont care/don't want to help..

My current CPN was a nightmare to get and I liked her a lot when I first started seeing her and I thought yeah I'm going to get on with you. But that didnt last long and she is constantly cancelling on me so i barely see her once a month when I'm meant to be seeing her once weekly according to my care plan.. If I have to cancel for whatever reason I'm being uncooperative though..

Also she keeps trying to ram DBT onto me, almost like guilt trip me into it but I don't think it will help me, as I currently just want to move on with my life and got to university..

Now I've been in the CAHMS/CMHT system since i was 14, so yes I do have a long history with it.. As soon as I mention discharge to my CPN, she sends off unnecessary alarm bells and thinks I'm withdrawing again and threatens me with hospital..

I feel like I'm being treated like shit if honest..

How do I get rid of her and out of system???

(Sorry for long post)

i always though you could just stop going to these things... i understand if you go to therapy you need to be discharged but in my mind when i was ready to go alone i was planning in just leaving, like stopping appointments with my GP and not schedule any more therapy... if your not in danger of yourself what can they do? they can't put you in hospital if your not at risk??? surely, I'm concerned now hhahaha

I have a history of withdrawing from services when im struggling along with a history of od'ing and whatnot.. but because she doesn't see me much i cant tell her that i want to move on with my life and i dont want to do DBT therapy because i dont see the point of going back over my past when all i want to do is move on with my life.

no im not saying i am better i just dont see the point in staying in the services if she is not going to help me and i dont want to do therapy so it seems like im wasting their time..

i dont do great on my own, i live with a carer but i just hate seeing her and dont want to see her anymore..

Could you write a letter telling her how you feel about the cancellations and the fact you want to move on with your life? In my experience some mh people are very difficult to talk to because they have this idea in their head about how you feel and everything you say seems to be confirmation of that. It's very difficult to have a conversation with people like that, they reply to what they think you've said rather than what you've actually said.

If you think that writing to her is going to result in more of the same responses from her (and unfortunately it often does) is there anyone else who works there who you think might listen? My social worker was like your cpn, didn't hear a word I said or read a word of my emails to her but when I wrote to someone more senior they did pay attention. Obviously I can't guarantee everything but it does seem to be more difficult to ignore something that's on paper.

I can see why they might be worried about discharging clients on request but it's not as though you're living alone- you have a carer who presumably knows about your problems and your carer could probably get in contact if your mood does seem to be dropping. How does your carer feel about the discharge? If you could get their support that might make a big difference.

I can try writing to her to see if that changes anything.

My carer does know about my problems and is very supportive most of the time. She totally understands me and when I can talk to her it is good. She isn't so keen on me getting completely discharged but she can understand my point of view.

• 3 weeks later...

Dbt isn't going back over your past so to speak it's to do with the here and now and way of coping with situations that arise for what it's worth I didn't find dbt any use at all x

Archived