Mental Health Forums

Icst (Intensive Community Support Team)

Alittlelost

Has anybody had input from an intensive community support team? My CPN has told me that next week I will be having a joint visit with her and another person from ICST. I suppose I don't really understand there role and do not know what to expect.

Since coming out of hospital, my CPN has referred me to ICST, the social inclusion team and my local therapeutic community. I know being on a section 117 entitles me to the care I need to prevent a re-admission but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the help I'm being offered at the moment. I guess I'm just scared.

• 1 month later...

Hello there, today I heard you.

Yes, overwhelming I agree...

There should be two parts to this service for you, short and long term, and they all overlap to provide support for you...

They should introduce you to someone that you will see once to twice per week, in the short term, unless there are other agencies filling the spaces for you, then they will focus on the longer term...

They should connect you into different services and therapies, over the long term, that all are geared towards keeping you out here in the community, and not at risk of going back to hospital...That is the role, not to lose sight of you for the next two years...

I really liked the people from this team...they are the reason that I managed the first two years outside the hospital...but they were relatively new then, and I believe that I got the benefit of that...

I really look forward to hearing how you are, how this went, and what the team can offer you...

Well wishes moonbeambethx

• 1 month later...

So sorry for such a late reply moonbeam, two months too late, sorry.

The ICST are offering me once a week appointment alongside weekly CPN appointments for the next six months or so. It appears that the lady I am seeing is trying to help me in the social aspect of things, eg finding things to do, to get me out more. She attends appointments with me and helps support me in any other situations that arise.

I've been seeing her for just over a month now and so far she has managed to get me out of the flat for coffee lol

The only problem I'm finding with her (not sure yet if this is good or bad) is that she sees things my CPN, GP, PDoc ect don't know about. For example I have routeine checks before I can leave my flat, I have certain rituals when locking my door, I cannot use public toilets, my anxiety about being too far away from my flat. To begin with she just accepted this, maybe not thinking too much about it. However, now she tries to follow me around my flat when I do my checks to see what I'm checking, or she just stands watching me when I lock my door ( I end up telling her that I'll catch her up, but she's clicked). All of this my CPN wouldn't ever know about because I don't go out with her.

Other than that I am finding the extra support helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

hello there, I did not forget you out there....

forgive me for the very late reply too, i have been in hospital for an operation...or I would have kept my word and come back to you sooner...

I am very happy to know that up until you posted you were finding the assistance useful, hope that this is continuing...

Did you get the ridiculously, long eassy of a post about my rituals, as, I really can understand what you are saying, for real I can...if you didnt it is out here, and the mobile phone picture taking really did free me of much anxiety around being away from my fortress for longer periods of time....

May I say, to enable us all stability and healthy recovery, it is often better, but painfully harder, if all the pros, that we work with are aware of our true natures, helps them understand us better....

if you need to assert a boundary with your support worker, do so, my support worker, respected my need for the rituals, yes, I needed to challenge and work on these things, but following me around would not have helped our relationship!!

Thinking of you, sending well wishes Mbb x

Archived