Mental Health Forums

Amitriptyline Experiences?

CrippleAndStarfish

Anyone?

Not asking for myself, I was on it for a short while, but for diff reasons so not really relevant...

so just wondering about others experiences with it, what dosage, side effects etc? And if you're okay with sharing why you were put on it, that would be great :)

S has been put on it to help him try get over to sleep on a night as he really struggles, a low dose, but he was feeling quite anxious and has taken 2 tabs as his gp had said it will help reduce his anxiety and help him chill out a little, but he's feeling drowsy on it.

I've tried explaining that its a common side effect, regardless of how low a dose, but his gp seems to have given him a diff story, so just wondering what others have been like with it please!

Taaa xx

I was put on amitriptyline as a painkiller for a while when I was having terrible issues with back / neck pain. Dunno if that makes my comments relevant or not but I'll give you them just in case! I did experience fairly considerable drowsiness as a side effect but otherwise not too much. My dad however has also been prescribed it for pain relief in the past and found it horrendous. He said he was getting really weird nightmares and felt almost panic at times. It was so bad for him that he stopped taking them completely. I'm afraid I can't remember the dosage either of us took. Sorry if I've not been any use!

Edit: After reading pickles' post below I remember my mum saying my dad did seem really depressed on the tablets too. Didn't seem to affect me in that way but maybe I just didn't notice - being screwed up mentally anyway! ;)

(((snoozysuzy)))..............I was put on Amitryptiline as pain management for carpal tunnel syndrome (in both hands) and was told it would also help with my sleep...................I can't remember my dose,...........it definitely helped with pain, it didn't really help with sleep that much, though I did feel doped up and generally drowsy with it............more importantly though, I'd like to mention that for me, Amitryptiline, whilst I was taking it, though it eased pain................sent me also into a space of very dark thinkings..............I asked to come off it.............and found something else, to deal with what it was prescribed for...................Hope this helps a little................Pickles

I was put on a low dose of amitriptyline (10mg) about a year ago, for migraines.

The first 2 weeks I was on them I experienced ridiculous tiredness. I would literally stuggle to get out of bed from feeling so heavy limbed and wiped out. Then I'd sit all day yawning with my eyes streaming from tiredness feeling unable to move. The effects of it lasted about 18 hours a day.

After a few weeks the effects became less extreme but I still stuggled to wake up and stay awake. A year on and amitriptyline is still pretty effective at making me sleep, some days depending on my mood I guess, I really can't stay awake, and others days feel more normal. Overall though I don't seem to have built up any long term resistance to it, it was just the inital few weeks of adjusting to it that were the problem. Aslo I rarely have migraines now, so it worked for that too :P

Thanks guys!!! :) Are you all okay if I share your experiences with S (my other half)? He knows I come on here, but doesn't know exactly where 'here' is, and I would obviously not show the web address or member details so it's all still kept private. :) Let me know :) xxx

I was put on amitriptyline as a painkiller for a while when I was having terrible issues with back / neck pain. Dunno if that makes my comments relevant or not but I'll give you them just in case! I did experience fairly considerable drowsiness as a side effect but otherwise not too much. My dad however has also been prescribed it for pain relief in the past and found it horrendous. He said he was getting really weird nightmares and felt almost panic at times. It was so bad for him that he stopped taking them completely. I'm afraid I can't remember the dosage either of us took. Sorry if I've not been any use! Edit: After reading pickles' post below I remember my mum saying my dad did seem really depressed on the tablets too. Didn't seem to affect me in that way but maybe I just didn't notice - being screwed up mentally anyway! ;)
(((snoozysuzy)))..............I was put on Amitryptiline as pain management for carpal tunnel syndrome (in both hands) and was told it would also help with my sleep...................I can't remember my dose,...........it definitely helped with pain, it didn't really help with sleep that much, though I did feel doped up and generally drowsy with it............more importantly though, I'd like to mention that for me, Amitryptiline, whilst I was taking it, though it eased pain................sent me also into a space of very dark thinkings..............I asked to come off it.............and found something else, to deal with what it was prescribed for...................Hope this helps a little................Pickles
I was put on a low dose of amitriptyline (10mg) about a year ago, for migraines. The first 2 weeks I was on them I experienced ridiculous tiredness. I would literally stuggle to get out of bed from feeling so heavy limbed and wiped out. Then I'd sit all day yawning with my eyes streaming from tiredness feeling unable to move. The effects of it lasted about 18 hours a day. After a few weeks the effects became less extreme but I still stuggled to wake up and stay awake. A year on and amitriptyline is still pretty effective at making me sleep, some days depending on my mood I guess, I really can't stay awake, and others days feel more normal. Overall though I don't seem to have built up any long term resistance to it, it was just the inital few weeks of adjusting to it that were the problem. Aslo I rarely have migraines now, so it worked for that too :P
Just quoting in case you dont get a notification of the above reply :) xx

• 4 weeks later...

i found when i was on that it made my voices worse

i thought my house was full of flying buzzing insects

it was fuckin horible.

glad i got off that pretty sharp ish after i told the doctor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i got put on it a few years ago, but never stuck to the prescribed dose as it didnt work for me at all (as an antidepressant or a painkiller). i was given 5mg pills, but even one or two of those did nothing but make me incredibly sleepy and i was unable to do anything on them. suffice to say, they got abused as sleeping pills. id take a handful and just sleep for a day or two at a time.

• 8 months later...

I was put on it for Migraine and have just finished the changeover onto Propranolol instead. It caused a few weird Hallucinations now and then when in bed. My doctor said it was a normal just before sleep thing but they have stopped now ive come off them. They made my teeth hurt and i lost 3 teeth while on them. Now my teeth are not paining me at all!!!. The Migraines were coming back slowly but are so much better on Propranolol.

Archived