Mental Health Forums

Sick Of Side Effects

SusieQ

I'm sooo sick of med side effects. So sick of Mirtazapine, waking up every day feeling like a zombie, feeling like I'm about to fall asleep at work in the morning, being painfully slow at everything I do, slurring words, verbal dyslexia, being irratiable/aggressive, constantly eating. Ahhhh!!!

This happens every time I get a new med. It's the wonder drug. The side effects are not too bad. Everything is rosy and wonderful. Then they gradually creep up on me and drive me nuts!

Not really asking for help, just ranting.

Side effects can be dreadful.And it's annoying when they tell you this med has very few side effects.Oh really?If that's the case,maybe THEY could try taking them........They are bloody clueless.

A few years back i was put on Quetiapine & suffered badly from its sedating side effect & came off it.However,last year,after having a severe psychotic episode,my psych put me back on Quetiapine,only this time,she prescribed the slow-release version.For the first few days i felt mildly groggy but that wore off quite quickly & the difference between the ordinary version & the slow-release is amazing.I went through the same thing when they put me on Venlafaxine.

Perhaps you could quiz your gp/psych about alternative slow-release meds?They don't tell you about them because they cost more but you are completely entitled to request them.

I hope some of this has been helpful.Take care.xxx

Yup, totally with you AL. I am having a hard time with my med side effects at the moment too. I have noticed I'm more clumsy since going on the last drug, also have verbal tics (for want of a better word) and REAL problems remembering words. It is so embarrassing forgetting what the word is I need half way through a sentence. I used to be a coherent and vaguely articulate speaker but now I look so stupid, I hate it.

I also have a tremor from another med I take and have random muscle spasms too which have worsened since my last drug was added. All fine when you're in your living room at home but not funny when you're in meetings at work.

The one that is most bothering me currently though is the increased appetite. I have put on loads of weight recently. Not a great side-effect for someone with a history of an eating disorder. :eh:

The thing is; now I am on all of these meds at these doses, I am a functioning member of society and not a gibbering wreck. So, it must be worth it right? Sometimes I do wonder... After all, what are they doing to my body on the inside that I can't see?

• 4 months later...

Archived