Mental Health Forums

Seeking Help

jezzie_jay

Well after another week from hell and next to no help from the NHS, I'm taking matters into my own hands. I'm off into the city to go talk to some people at MIND, then I'm heading to two places that help with drug addiction. Hopefully, after all that, I wont want to go to the pub either as a reward or to drown my sorrows.

Wish me luck guys! :)

the best of luck for this

whatever you achieve will be good

even if its not all of those things

(hopefully you manage to avoid the pub)

maybe think of something else nice you could buy yourself - that would benefit you in some way

something nice to eat

or wear

or bath in (hate saying that as it does nothing for me, but other people seem to find special bath/beauty products strangely exciting!!)

Well my local MIND seems like a good place to drop in if I'm just feeling a bit rough. I often get panicky and anxious in the city, so its good to know there's somewhere i can go and just chill out, talk to someone, calm myself down again.

The drug service are going to write to me with a date for an assessment (should be about 2 weeks) and we'll go from there.

I sorta feel disappointed that I haven't received any immediate help, but I'm trying to keep reminding myself that these things take time, the important thing is I've started getting things moving.

Oh and I didn't go to the pub :D I like the idea of having a treat for doing things though, so if I can make it through the week without another drink session or breakdown, I'll treat myself to a trip to the hairdresser; always makes me feel better.

goodness you did well today

and it is immediate help in a way because mind is there straightaway and the drug place are immediately going to work on finding an assessment date

you really have achieved a lot today

xx

Thanks guys :) The praise really helps and encourages me, especially since Ive come home and feel like I'm being treated as if i achieved nothing today.

Well done for going to all those places and for avoiding the pub. Visiting even one place can take a lot of energy (asking for help can be so difficult) so you did really well to do everything you'd planned.

It is disappointing that they can't do anything straight away but that is often how it goes, they can't do everything at once. The important thing is as you said, you started getting things moving. You don't know how many times I've failed to do that!

I'm sorry you're being treated as though you've achieved nothing. If someone hasn't gone through it themselves they struggle to understand what a big thing it can be for us. But we understand and we know you've done brilliantly with several difficult tasks- and all in the same day too. Even one would have been good but three is amazing :)

Cheers all :) Ive explained to my boyfriend that i need more praise and encouragement just for the smallest things like this and he's making an effort. Tbh, its a huge effort just to be with me. We've talked a lot recently and i really feel like we're pulling together for the first time in a long time.

Week after next a have an appointment with the drug addiction place and with a psychiatrist (i think). Also seeing my GP and going to discuss the options of ECT and mood stabilisers with her after i picked up leaflets about them at MIND. Oh and ive decided to try a new private counsellor next week, even though i cant really afford it.

Still away from the pubs too :D

That's really good you were able to speak to your boyfriend and that he's making an effort. It sounds like your problems have made you closer, obviously I'd rather you didn't have problems at all but I am glad you are feeling closer to him. It must be good to have his support.

In case I don't speak to you before then I hope the appointments go well.

It's good to hear you sounding so positive and taking so many important steps and also great that everyone you've spoken to is actually doing their jobs and helping you to put things in motion. I think seeing the private counsellor is a good thing, sometimes it can be good to take a bit of a risk for your longterm mental health and you might be able to sort something out with them, sometimes they might offer discounts or agree to see you fortnightly or monthly. If it doesn't help you can always stop going and if nothing else you'll have learned something about what you don't find helpful- and even that can take you a bit nearer to finding out what you do need.

• 4 months later...

Archived