Mental Health Forums

Increased sertraline again!

Clancy82

Hi I went to my doctor today because I've had these side effects since they upped my sertraline from 50mg to 100mg 

Amazing happiness

Can't keep still/had to pace
Finding things hilarious 
Clapping
Singing everything 
Talking out loud when alone/answering my own questions 
Wanting to jump about
Very confident
Thinking I was indestructible
Racing thoughts
Having to talk to people
Became loud and imagining I needed a microphone to get heard
Trouble sleeping
This was for two days then
Agitation
Feeling sad 
Feeling happy
Had to get agitation and pent up energy out by getting on hands and knees and scrubbing kitchen floor
Aching legs from more fidgeting 
Tired but can't sleep as much
Headache  
Everything looked brighter and clearer
Noises seemed louder and annoying
Seeing things out of corner of my eye
Jumpy and sounds 
Sad feeling while watching a film with my son and innocent people got killed I thought what's the point in life
Feeling like I could jump off the roof or walk into traffic and not get hurt because I feel that great 
Feeling sick
Slight paranoid thoughts
Gritting teeth. 

my gp decided that he needs to up the dose to 150mg and refered me to social services! Even after telling him that it's the increased dose that's making me like this.  I'm quite sad about everything x

It's very difficult when doctors don't listen. They know lots about medication but we know our own bodies. Sometimes we just know they're making a mistake but it's like they have this idea in their heads and nothing will change their mind. But when they don't listen our problems don't get treated and then the feeling of not being heard makes it even worse. That's what it's like for me anyway. I shouldn't just assume our situations are the same.

There are a couple of things you can do. First your social worker might be able to help. They will usually have contact with the mental health team so they might be able to refer you to a psychiatrist who can give you a medication review or will hopefully listen better.

If you are in therapy you could also tell your therapist you'd like a medication review.

You are also always entitled to a second opinion from another doctor. I don't know if your surgery is set up so you can see other doctors easily but if so it might be worth a try. In the past I have had doctors making unhelpful decisions (like deciding to cancel all my prescriptions) but then I've gone to see another doctor who did listen (my cancelled prescriptions were reinstated 2 days later by a different doctor who thought the first one was mad).

I really hope you can find someone who'll let you cut down again.

I agree with everything Emma's just said. If things get really bad, you can always go to A&E, but please do get something sorted about this....

Take care

Archived