Mental Health Forums

Am I totally losing it?

Clancy82

Am I going mad?
I was diagnosed with severe depression two months ago and was given sertraline at 50mg. This was upped to 100mg then 150mg.  Since it's gone up to 100mg and 150mg I've been really agitated and can't keep still.  I get really agitated from so much pent up energy. I get urges to jump about and to get away from myself it's such a horrible feeling. Other times I get really really happy feelings.  I went to my doc yesterday and asked to go back down to the 50mg because although the higher dose was helping with my depression and intrusive thoughts it was making me feel so restless and agitated that I would rather die than carry on with it. I've taken the 50mg this morning but since last night random thoughts Pop  in my head like "porcupine I don't care" and I'm confused as to why. And things like "help me please" and they're v distressing and I don't know why I'm getting them.  Also if I am thinking a thought in my head a really loud voice will finish my sentence with "jabba jabba jabba" or "immit immit immit" and really odd things like that. I find it really scary and I'm worried what is wrong with me. Anyone else experienced this with sertraline??

sounds very scary, sorry I haven't taken sertraline, maybe you could try to fill your head with something else like music, maybe go for a walk to deal with the energy.

medication can and does do funny things sometimes this usually settles down. the loud noises yes I have had similar experiences, sometimes this is the depression too.  x

Hi

That does sound scary and I'm sorry this is happening. Is this something you're able to talk to your team about? Do you have a care co-ordinator or something? I have never been on Sertraline and don't know much about it but it could be worth talking to someone or your GP about it.

And I wonder if something like mindfulness would help? But maybe speak to your GP or someone to see first whether the medication is right for you, and then also maybe some ideas about techniques that could help to cope with these distressing experiences.

Hope things improve for you

Jenny x

Archived