Mental Health Forums

Recognising 'Normality'

neilh

After having been in recovery from BPD for 5 years and having reached a point of 'remission' I continue to have an issue of recognising 'Normality' if there such a thing!

After a weekend in which I had a minor argument with my wife, felt slightly anxious in the heat on Sunday but otherwise things, were very much OK, I am left with a feeling of puzzlement!  This surely is Normality, I feel that although I have worked extremely hard on my recovery, its time to accept that, life isn't perfect and nor is a 'Perfect Recovery'.........I sometimes feel that as people living with BPD we expect too much from ourselves and find it hard accept the enviable negative events that life throws at us.

In all I had an average but, 'Normal' weekend, I didn't 'act out' I didn't reduce myself to tears, I coped........Lesson learnt- I must learn to accept normality for most of life even with BPD is normality.

I personally think there is no such thing as 'normality' for us.

I tend to live in the extremes......... in lots of ways.

I think it helps the subject if we talk about 'balance'. What is our balance, only we can know.

Viewing it from this angle has certainly helped me on a few occasions :)

All the best Neil.

Kim

I think there is no such thing as remission, just improving and bettering life skills. BPD is part of your personality in my book so it all of it is a reflection of who you can be, but not who you always are.

Interesting replies, and it's probably true to say that 'Normality doesn't exist for us, I agree that 'Balance' is a better term and suggests a more personal objective and equilibrium. I like you have lived to extreme's, sometimes this has been fun, but often has caused chaos. 'Normality' I feel is a social word that links us with the rest of society and how we 'should' present and behave, Balance' means something altogether more achievable. As for Remission.... maybe I should say 'I've reached a level of Balance!

Many thanks to you all,

Neil

Archived