Mental Health Forums

Borderline Personality Disorder

jill340

Hi, for a year now I have been trying to cope with BPD. It has been very difficult. What are some ways other people cope with it? I find it especially frustrating to control my emotions when I feel depressed because of something happening or angry at myself (because that is where I usually direct my anger). Recently, my parents have discovered (thanks to my backstabbing therapist) several wilderness programs they are considering sending me to. I researched wilderness programs, and they are mainly for teens with substance abuse issues, which I have none of. Nevertheless, when I was researching I found that the children who go to these programs are abused and denied medical treatment because the counselors think they are faking it for attention. I blame my therapist for this entire thing and plan to threaten my parents by telling them I will kill myself if they make me go. I know this would upset them and damage my relationship with them, but I feel like I have to do it to get them to stop wanting them to send me here. If anyone has any coping skills or advice they would like to share, all comments are appreciated!

Hello Jill, 

Nice to meet you-as it were-.

Thats a very complicated and painful sounding experience that you are going through....

Thank you for sharing that seriously honest account of how you are feeling...

Hey please dont take offense, I can turn my mind to understanding how maybe the whole sent away to camp thing, can make a person feel, unsafe, desperate, misunderstood, simular negative and unhelpful emotions that you may express under different discriptions....

But honestly, I hope you have managed to avoid threatening you parents with killing yourself...

Your support needs to know how desperate you feel, but I really hope you can find another way to explain your fear, concern,.....

I dont want to say anymore, you may have already got caught up in the desperation, so I dont want to make worse...

Many people can and will understand why you are feeling the way you are...

I cant access my web links at the moment, there is a lot of information online, for explaining how we feel without the heavy negative connotations...

That being said, we all make mistakes and some of us need a lot of support and ideas and practise to be able to communicate our pain and distress to others without coming across as threatening or emotionally blackmailing them...I used to be a very negative communcator...I got better over time and tide....

Sending you a well wish mbb x

Archived