Mental Health Forums

Someone to listen to ?

NeededByAny

How about fuck right off. This is a place for real people to help real people through this. There is no agenda. Fees. Incentives.

Mods - Please feel free to ban/delete/beat me up, as you see appropriate.

Ki

I'm with Kim on this, I'd rather talk to a real person who actually gives a crap about me rather than what's in my wallet. Someone without a hidden agenda, not a "listener" who is going to encourage me to take out one of of their "affordable therapy plans".

I get that the principle of the initial offering is a nice one, but it seems geared to taking advantage of people in vulnerable states of mind rather than genuinely just being there to help.

Forest

I actually think you are being too lenient Forest.

There is no 'initial offering' as such (in my humble opinion), as the whole thing is geared to moneterize people who need help. All very lovey, right up until the point it isn't

People come here in the hope to speak to like-minded people. Kindred spirits, I guess.

This is the worst type of 'ambulance chasing' there is. Shame on you OP.

So image this service a try. The volunteer genuinely seemed to want to help, and seemed able to offer a bit of decent advice equivalent to what you would get from your neighbour/guy in pub/person in a forum, just without the fear of lasting judgement (the guy was obviously having multiple conversations and once you go most likely won't thinking you again). I did get encouraged a few times in my chat by automatic prompts to take a therapy plan out, which I promptly denied.

I do think it's a decent service if you want some advice on something and your strong willed enough to tell the 'friendly robot' to shove it's therapy plan up it's virtual arse.

I strongly suspect the OP has something to gain from directing traffic to the site though. I don't think advertising like that is allowed (although I appreciate they grey area).

Forest

O and they keep asking for donations, which I suppose is fair but I would be interested to see where those donations go?

Forest

14 hours ago, ForestP said:

I strongly suspect the OP has something to gain from directing traffic to the site though. I don't think advertising like that is allowed (although I appreciate they grey area).

I would imagine that they might be trying to recoup some of the fees they paid. But, perhaps I am being cynical. In which case  I offer an unreserved apology.

But going back on the site just confirmed that they want you to go on a course.....and then you can be a 'Listener'. A money making exercise I think.

Wow my last message didn't make a lot of sense, that's what you get for writing it on a phone whilst half asleep. I did notice that the link is a referal link, so yea, maybe you are right.

Whilst I was on the site it asked me about 3 times to go on a course to be a 'Listener'. Having thought about it I think you're right, this is a nice idea, that has been monitized to take advantage of people in a bad place. I noticed after I posted that it automatically created me a profile and started suggesting courses that I could do to help with my problems, all with a cost of course. The listener service seems like a gateway to get people in the door who are vulnerable. If it was what it says it is supposed to be, (just a free listening service) it would be good, but as with most things that are good people have realised there is cash to be made and decided to take advantage.

I think you were right, I was being too lenient. Sites that are geninely just set up to help people and not take advantage aparently are few and far between....

Forest

I actually felt quite bad being so harsh on that site after reading your comment Forest. So I did a little googling.....and pretty quickly came upon a few things which confirmed my suspicions. They even have what they call a  'Social Soldiers Team', whose only aim is to spread the word and get people on the site.

It's such a shame. It could have been good. Great, even. But it isn't. It's a company that wants you to part with cash AS well as doing the work and getting new punters.

I think it just shows the contrast to this place, where people really try hard to support one another............for absolutely no ulterior motive. I've seen some people, who are really battling this condition, go out of their way to provide support for others. I've benefited from it hugely. And I try to give back as much as I can.

These type of cynical, money-grabbing, predators really make me angry.

All we're trying to do here is provide mutual support. That's it.

Anyhow, rant over, haha.

I hope you're feeling better Forest.

Kim

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't say they are chat bots, if they are they certainly pass the turing test.

I don't agree that nothing comes for free, a hell of a lot of things come for free. however in this example I do feel that the motives are more business oriented rather than genuine altruism.

So yea, this is free in the same way that I have some "free" channels on TV which are all funded by ads - I don't need to pay for the service I receive, but some people will end up paying in other ways.

Also I get that charities need income, but I haven't met a poor charity trustee yet.

Forest

They are chat bots i asked them some questions today, they did not do very well on my test sir

the website is a complete joke it uses chat bots to talk to people about genuine health issues, after 5 mins of nonsense it tries to sell people some services , site should be reported as a scam site

nothing is free, this means you get nothing for free instead of something for free,unless you think the nothing is a something

perspective i guess

Maybe you got a bot, or possibly you got someone quite robotic. If they are all bots, my "bot" had a job in a similar sector to me and used jargon that is quite unique to my sector that I don't believe a computer would have understood.

It's not a scam site, you get the service offered, it doesn't say add free, I don't agree with it, I would rather it not be advertised on this forum, but I do support it's right to exist.

Sunlight is free, air is free, me writing this message is free, you didn't need to pay anything to sign up here, so your membership was free, the wealth of knowledge on this forum and on many other website's is provided for free, the whole of wikipedia is free.... I could go on all day

Forest

I agree, I have been reporting posts for advertising, I confess this intested me and I got drawn into a discussion about the service offered. Im happy for it to disappear.

Archived